Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD when Atheros network adapter is enabled - Vista

Vista BSOD Atheros

• Please log in to reply

houston2014

houston2014

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Hi

I started having trouble with BSOD a few days ago. I have narrowed down the issue to the wifi. I can connect through ethernet cable. As soon as I enable the Atheros card, I get BSOD. Each time, I get a different type of error "Bad pool caller" "IRQL not equal" etc. I have Vista Home Premium on a Toshiba Satellite laptop. Atheros AR5007EG adapter. 

Here are the hardward ids for the card

PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_001C&SUBSYS_7128144F&REV_01
PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_001C&SUBSYS_7128144F
PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_001C&CC_020000
PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_001C&CC_0200

I would appreciate if somebody can help me solve this problem. Let me know what other information I can provide.

Advertisements

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Drivers are not my strong point!

See if you can get the driver here???

http://www.driveride...SUBSYS_7128144f

dbreeze

dbreeze

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,216 posts

I have the exact same hardware (Toshiba Satelite with the Qualcomm Atheros AR5007EG wireless network adapter).  I updated to Win7 some years ago but believe that the latest "compatible" driver with this hardware is version 10.0.0.45 however there are other later versions out there.

The latest Toshiba supported version is here.  You can check the downloads here at Toshiba.  I would suggest in this case that you start with downloading the driver package, deleting the device in your Device Manager and then rebooting to let windows re-install the hardware using the driver package to install the correct driver..

houston2014

houston2014

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Thanks for the replies. I deleted and reinstalled the driver. I think the wireless portion of it seems to be working better. I got another BSOD with Bad pool caller error with fltmgr.sys and another BSOD with IRQL not less or equal error. For some reason the dump files are not getting created, even though the settings are there to overwrite existing files. Any suggestions?

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Hello!

I like this program a lot.

http://www.resplendence.com/whocrashed

Would you mind going into Reliability Monitor and see if there might be a clue there?

http://www.howtogeek...ou-arent-using/

houston2014

houston2014

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Thanks.

I ran the who crashed program and have attached the output. Looks like it picked up a few dump files that were created on 7/31. The system is not creating dump files after that.

Also, I went to Reliability Monitor and it does not show any reports. Under Data Collector Sets/System - it shows Lan Diagnostics, System Diagnostics, System Performance and Wireless Diagnostics as stopped.

Crash Dump Analysis

Crash dump directory: c:\

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Thu 8/7/2014 2:44:29 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: c:\Users\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Crash Reports\pending\7cd25703-9711-458a-9d56-5f3c913b747c-flash2.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: Unknown ()
Bugcheck code: 0x0 (0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: CUSTOM_ERROR
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error.
Google query: CUSTOM_ERROR

crash dump file: c:\Users\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Crash Reports\pending\7cd25703-9711-458a-9d56-5f3c913b747c-flash1.dmp
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error.

crash dump file: c:\Users\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Crash Reports\pending\7cd25703-9711-458a-9d56-5f3c913b747c-browser.dmp

On Thu 8/7/2014 2:44:27 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: c:\Users\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Crash Reports\pending\7cd25703-9711-458a-9d56-5f3c913b747c.dmp

On Thu 8/7/2014 1:17:41 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: c:\Users\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Crash Reports\pending\9e0cca67-340f-4ecc-a760-6f9853a36d4d-flash1.dmp

On Thu 8/7/2014 1:17:36 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: c:\Users\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Crash Reports\pending\9e0cca67-340f-4ecc-a760-6f9853a36d4d-browser.dmp

On Thu 8/7/2014 1:17:22 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: c:\Users\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Crash Reports\pending\9e0cca67-340f-4ecc-a760-6f9853a36d4d.dmp

On Thu 7/31/2014 11:07:17 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: c:\Windows\Minidump\Mini073114-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: idsvix86.sys (IDSvix86+0x11105)
Bugcheck code: 0x100000D1 (0x3333, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFFFFFC3B93105)
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: idsvix86.sys .
Google query: idsvix86.sys CUSTOM_ERROR

On Wed 7/30/2014 2:57:12 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: c:\Windows\Minidump\Mini073014-02.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: luafv.sys (luafv+0x825F)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFFFFF8570CD5B, 0xFFFFFFFFA995FA40, 0x0)
Error: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\luafv.sys
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: LUA File Virtualization Filter Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.
Google query: Microsoft Corporation KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M

On Wed 7/30/2014 2:30:05 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: c:\Windows\Minidump\Mini073014-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0xCD9BD)
Bugcheck code: 0xC2 (0x7, 0x110B, 0x5E0001, 0xFFFFFFFF876571D8)
Error: BAD_POOL_CALLER
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that the current thread is making a bad pool request.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

Conclusion

126 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. Only 10 are included in this report. 5 third party drivers have been identified to be causing system crashes on your computer. It is strongly suggested that you check for updates for these drivers on their company websites. Click on the links below to search with Google for updates for these drivers:

usbccgp.sys (USB Common Class Generic Parent Driver, Microsoft Corporation)
athr.sys (Atheros Extensible Wireless LAN device driver, Atheros Communications, Inc.)
symevent.sys (Symantec Event Library, Symantec Corporation)
luafv.sys (LUA File Virtualization Filter Driver, Microsoft Corporation)
idsvix86.sys

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Hello!

Thanks for your reply!

Have you done what Who Crashed recommend? Drivers are the number one reason for BSOD!

houston2014

houston2014

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

I have updated the Atheros driver. I am still getting BSODs with different causes, but I am not getting any dump files. So, not sure if Who Crashed actually can figure out what is going on right now.

Would reinstalling Windows solve these problems? Unfortunately I don't have the Vista disc either. Any suggestions?

houston2014

houston2014

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Also, seems like even the Wifi works when I boot up on Safe mode with networking, but crashes when I boot up in normal mode.

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Hello!

You might try a clean boot!

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796