Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless question

• Please log in to reply

SangeEtern

SangeEtern

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Greetings everyone.
I'm connected to a "local" LAN and bought a wireless network adapter to connect to a acces point that belonged to a greater LAN. I succesfuly connected to that perticular network. I have 2 pc's at home (one has the wireless adapter). They are both connected via a switch - ethernet. How can i acces the wireless network with the other pc ? :tazz:
I must mention. I get internet trough the wireless connection. If try to share it with the other pc, windows tries to change my ip to 192.168.0.1, which is the ip i get internet from and i can't do that nor that person can change it's ip.
The next issue would be that in that switch i mentioned earlier there are other computers and i want to share the connection only with my other computer since the wireless isn't that relieble or fast.
I want that the computer that has the wireless to act as a server. I can install on it any operating sistems you have in mind.
I'm opened to sugestions.

The computer that has the wireless network adapter: p2 266 mhz, hdd 20 gb 128 ram
The other pc: p4 2,4 ghz, 40 gb hdd 256 ram
Both have winxp.

Advertisements

ong2lua

ong2lua

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
I'm a little confusing about your description. Can you please be a little more specific like naming Computer A, B or C.... and Network A/B/C....

SangeEtern

SangeEtern

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
What I meant is that there are two networks network A, which I'm on, with IP's 192.168.2.xxx and network B with IP's 192.168.1.xxx. We connected our networks using an old pc with one ethernet card and an wireless card. The ethernett card has IP 192.168.2.2 and I use it for network A, the wireless card has IP 192.168.1.154 and I use it for network B, taken one by one each network works using this PC but they don't work together.

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
They cannot work together because they are configured as different networks. I don't remember if XP has the capabilities to route the 2 networks together. Basically you have a 192.168.2.x scheme and a 192.168.1.x scheme. Now in order for them both to work together they all have to be on 192.168.2.x or vice versa.

-=jonnyrotten=- :tazz: