Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell XP Pro to AMD 64 3000+

• Please log in to reply

SlimTex

SlimTex

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Put IDE drive from old Dell into an AMD 64 3000+, ASUS A8V Deluxe, 1gb mem. Updated this current build with all the mobo drivers, boots and runs fine in the new machine.

Cloned the IDE to a Samsung 160gb SATA. PC boots to the pale blue screen with the windows logo that would normally say "Windows is shutting down...", or the logging user off comment and hangs there till I power off the machine.

Attempted a clean install to the SATA drive with XP Pro/SP2. Goes thru the copying files and to the reboot prompt. The F6 prompt for other drivers displays then the F2 and then the dreaded BSOD ;) I have loaded various drivers for the Promise and VIA controller at the F6, all resulted in BSOD :tazz:

Advertisements

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
that board uses the via 8237 southbridge chipset, so when you load the sata driver, choose the via 8237 for XP.
when loading windows, do the F6 thing, then when it prompts, you will need to press "S" for scsi drivers, then select that driver.

also make sure you have the sata drive plugged into sata port 1 on your mobo. ensure your plugged into the standard sata port, not the raid sata port.

SlimTex

SlimTex

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
PROBLEM SOLVED ;) I was fixated on loading/finding from the 4in1 drivers. Searched for the SB 8237 chipset drivers, built a diskette to use at the F6 prompt, VOILA!

Thanks audioboy :tazz: