Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Motherboard doesn't boot up

• Please log in to reply

rebookee

rebookee

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi guys,

Recently bought a ASRock H81M-DGS motherboard and trying to boot with Intel Celeron Processor G1840 LGA1150 however it would sometimes boot with setup screen but automatically switches off...

Any assistance would be appreciated! Thanks!

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday rebookee and  :welcome: 

Is that a used CPU on a new board.

Did you completely remove the old thermal paste from both the cup top and the cooler heat sink plate, then apply new paste?

When you installed the MB, were the standoffs in the same pattern and number  as the old board. no extra one, or any in the wrong place

Have you plugged the CPU fan into the CPU fan header on the MB?

Have you plugged in two power cable to the MB, one 24 pin and one 8 pin, (goes top left of the board)

rebookee

rebookee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi iammykyl, thanks for a prompt reply!

However unfortunately I have done all that but still not having any luck.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Rather than try this, try that, I find the best approach is to do a bare bones setup outside the case.

Setup the MB on the top of the MB box.  in your case with the CPU/cooler attached.

If installed? remove the RAM, reseat in the correct slots.

Connect only, mouse/keyboard, (USB 2.0 port or PS/2 units)   No GPU card, no connection to the monitor.

Briefly short out the power on pins or use the MB power on button if present.

If a fail, try without the RAM.

If a fail, remove the coolers, remove the CPU and look for bent pins or damage.

please report back. 

rebookee

rebookee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi,

Sorry for the late reply. After intense investigation, turns out it was the new RAM that is incompatible with the motherboard.

Thanks for.your help regardless!

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Thanks for the update.

Good to hear it was incompatible RAM and not a faulty part.   I hope you were/are able to do a swap with the vendor.

Are you up and running now?   Any problems, give a hoy.

sukiblr

sukiblr

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

any particular reason why you chose ASRock? My assembler thinks they are no good. He has been pushing me to pick up Biostar instead..what do you think?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

I often choose Asrock as I found them reliable, usually has more features than a comparable board, usually cheaper.

Biostar, cheaper still, less features than most boards, less robust parts, especially for gaming boards.

Every Manufacturer has some boards with bad reputations.   Look for customer reviews on Newegg for the board the Assembler is recommending, does it have all the features you want and compare to the Asrock.

Look for actual reported problems and the support response.  Things like "the board was to small", "it only had one PCI=E slot" and such, don't count.