Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

sluggish system

• Please log in to reply

sinecure

sinecure

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
I am experiencing a problem with my system being sluggish.

desktop seems ok, but when scrolling through long Word files or scrolling through an e mail or through web pages the system scrolls MUCH, MUCH slower that the mouse or scroll wheel on the mouse

I have updated and run my AV and found no issues (McAfee VS 7.0 Pro)

I have updated and run Ad-Aware and Spy Bot.

The system shows clean and none of the above affected the sluggishness.

Sinecure

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can do this to eliminate a few things

Run disk defragmenter

Click start then all programmes, accessories, system tools, system information, tools, run system file checker and replace any files it shows as missing or corrupt.

Reboot the PC then keep tapping the F8 key right after the beep until you get the options screen, select command prompt only, type scanreg.exe /fix then press enter, when this says the registry has been repaired, press enter, then press ctrl + alt + delete keys together to reboot.

Get TuneUp Trial

http://www.tune-up.com

Run disc clean up then registry clean up then click optimize to run reg defrag, which will take a while and requires a reboot

sinecure

sinecure

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Keith;

your suggestions worked quite well. I see considerable improvement but did not completely eliminate the problem.

Thank you for the improvement.

Sinecure

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It could be that McAfee is scanning at start up, which would slow things down there.

If you can pinpoint when it goes slow, post back

Thank you for letting me know it improved.

sinecure

sinecure

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
After your last post and subsequent investigation:

Yes, McAfee launches on start up but shutting down doesn't have any apparent effect.

Some experimenting though, shows that the system now runs well (after your suggestions)... reading or scrolling e mails or large files (such as Word) has dramatically improved.

the system performs well

EXCEPT when on-line. The remaining problem is that the system is slow or sluggish when reading or scrolling web pages.

system response to opening the web is fine, but scrolling is extremely slow.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
See if this makes a difference

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;153790

sinecure

sinecure

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
changing the suggested settings in IE had no impact on the slow/sluggish web page scrolling.