Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7, Internet Email ONLY in Safe Mode [Closed]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

everythingsm

everythingsm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Thanks for the dates  (feel like I've lost time since this has been on my mind... and working).  I'm a little drunk from trying so many things.  Be gone for the next 2 days 8/20 & 8/21. The machine is running good... like first installed seems. I do want to put some ?s together( IE etc) and install your recommendations and let run so I'll reply Fri 8/22 for update. Thanks for your patience and help... we'll finish this off soon. :yeah:

Edited by everythingsm, 19 August 2014 - 02:21 PM.

Advertisements

dbreeze

dbreeze

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,216 posts

No, thank you for hanging in there with us!  Like I said, don't worry; we will get through this!  :geek:

everythingsm

everythingsm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

I'm DL  your refferasl and will have  few ?s for you Mon 9/25. My system is running very well. I expect for you to be able to close me out Monday. Message you on Mon 9/25. Thanks

everythingsm

everythingsm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

First, an Antivirus program. You NEED one; free is just as good as paid-for as long as you keep them updated. ONLY use one at a time as having more than that will cause system problems. Here are some free ones to check out:
Microsoft Security Essentials
Avast! Free Antivirus

Went with MS Essentials - it even found a Ranson/Win32.Reveton. I will run another FULL Scan(takes 3 to 4 hrs). Screen Attached

Next, a firewall is a must have now-a-days. The built in firewall in Windows 7 is fine (just make sure it is turned on (Start > Control Panel > Windows Firewall)). Or, if you like, you could choose one of the free ones listed here:
Emsisoft Online Armor - installs as trialware which converts to freeware in 30 days
Zone Alarm Free Firewall - installer includes foistware so read the options very carefully

Going to use Win 7 since you said it was as good. Trying to keep this system lean.

=== options ====
Unchecky is a small service that runs in the background to help keep those "extra toolbars" and tag along search engines from automatically installing. By automatically directing you to a custom install with all the options unchecked, only what you manually choose and confirm gets installed.

Unchecky installed.

CryptoPrevent is a free program that prevents CryptoLocker / ransomware from infecting your PC by locking down the OS so the malware can not get a grip on your system. You can read the details about this program here.  (Note: I would not add this, everythingsm, until you get all your other programs settled first.  It will be easier that way.)

Crypto Prevent .. installed.

Also, consider adding MalwareBytes Antimalware to your arsenal of safe keeping programs. Use the free version (not the paid or trial version) and you won't have a problem with your antivirus scanner program. Keep it updated and run a scan with it once a week.

Using Paid Malwarebytes since i've paid for it.

Lastly, if you use Firefox as your main web browser, consider adding the NoScript and AdBlockPlus add-ons to the browser to block scripting hijacks and remove unwanted ads from the pages you view.

No script & AdblockPlus.. installed.

Now my questions abt IE 10. It runs slow at times and will not retrieve links. any recommendations ?

In a few sentence tell me why  IE (resetting it) freed my system up and was AVG Fallwall helping cause this issue ? Ever since installing Win 7 I've had to reinstall AVG at least 3 time in 4 months. Sometime afte update s the Firewall would not come on ?

Attached Thumbnails

• Ransom.JPG
  • Ransom2.JPG

dbreeze

dbreeze

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,216 posts

The only recommendation (other than the one below) would be to move to IE11 ( http://www.microsoft...11-details.aspx ).

IE10 - As far as helping with web site displaying, you can try adding the web site to or turning on "Compatibility View settings" under Tools > Compatibility View settings. Microsoft changed the way IE rendered web HTML information (starting with IE8) but web site creators don't always keep up with introduced changes (or even want to change if there are not many using those changes) so MS made an option called Compatibility View. Basically, this tells IE (versions 8~ through the current one) to display a web site in the "older style" rendering.

As to how the resetting of IE10 helped break your system free, the reset included changing your Proxy setting which looked like ALL network traffic was going through so that AVG can monitor or filter that traffic. The real problem with this type of firewalling is that if any thing is the least bit out of their expected normal rules then it gets stuck in a loop and won't break free. AND since Microsoft uses the local loopback network communication for some OS functions, the OS starts to be sluggish, at best, or frozen, at worst.

My personal opinion is that AVG's Firewall was causing most of the problem. As stated, Windows 7 has a fine firewall built in as long as you have it enabled and running.

How is you system running now?

everythingsm

everythingsm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Sorry I haven't responded... been traveling for work. My system is working really well... thanks.  Please leave my issue up, I'm catching up and want to do the last things you said.. IE. I feel all is well now. Please close me out and let me know where I can contribute... your email/paypal ? like years ago ?   Thanks so much again.  SM

dbreeze

dbreeze

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,216 posts

Yes, work gets in the way ( :rofl: - that is a joke as real life ALWAYS comes first ).  I'll leave this one open for a few days to see if IE11 goes well for you.  You can find information on donations here.  Right now I do this for the experience of helping others, learning and passing on what I can; later I might put out a cup for a coffee or two .... :geek:

everythingsm

everythingsm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

I'm going to hold back on IE 11 for now.

This morning my computer is acting a little strange. Booted up looked like quickly blue screen popped up, then to black screen(think Win didn't shut down correctly was the message ?? ) anyway I started in regular mode. No MalwarewarBytes in tray, MB would not open so I went into SAFE MODE (MB not open). Ran M Essential, Spybot (nothing came up) ran CCcleaner, then  since I had them on my system, Adw, HitmanPro (Nothing came up... ran check only). Tried to run Defender but would not start ? I've attached screen for what is STOPPED on my system and what was in ADW registry search  that was found.

Attached Thumbnails

• TKMng1.JPG
  • TskMnr2.JPG
  • TskMngr3.JPG
  • adw.JPG

dbreeze

dbreeze

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,216 posts

Windows Defender has been stopped as Microsoft Security Essentials replaces it; this is normal behaviour. 

I am going over your posts and will return asap with some advice.

dbreeze

dbreeze

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,216 posts

everythingsm,

Let's get a better look at what AdwCleaner finds, please.

• Click the Scan button and wait for the scan to finish.
  • After the Scan has finished the window may or may not show what it found and above, in the progress bar, you will see: Pending. Please uncheck elements you don't want to remove. Please Do Not delete anything at this time.
  • Click the Report button to get the log.
  • Copy and Paste it into your next reply. This report is also saved to C:\AdwCleaner\AdwCleaner[R0].txt.
  • Click the X in the upper right corner of the program or click the File menu and click Exit to close the program.

Next, as to MalwareBytes AntiMalware not running --
Please follow the directions here at Malwarebytes.org to completely remove MBAM Pro from your system. Please note that you should have a copy of your license information handy because the tool used will remove the license and any other information about MBAM from your system. Once your system is clean of MBAM and rebooted, download a fresh copy of MBAM Pro from here and install it.

Also, is there anyway to get more free space on that drive? Move old files to some offline storage? It would be good to have about 60~80Gb free instead of 40~44Gb; when under 12% free, Windows start to 'choke' on some of its internal housekeeping duties and you notice system slowdowns / hangs.

Advertisements

everythingsm

everythingsm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Not delete MB and reinstalled yet...

Adw Log - I like to remoe AVG file

# AdwCleaner v3.309 - Report created 05/09/2014 at 12:31:11
# Updated 02/09/2014 by Xplode
# Operating System : Windows 7 Professional Service Pack 1 (32 bits)
# Username : Scott - SCOTT-PC
# Running from : C:\Users\Scott\Downloads\adwcleaner_3.309.exe
# Option : Scan

***** [ Services ] *****

***** [ Files / Folders ] *****

File Found : C:\Users\Scott\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\7a9e9569.default\invalidprefs.js
File Found : C:\Users\Scott\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\7a9e9569.default\user.js
Folder Found : C:\ProgramData\Windows Genuine Advantage

***** [ Scheduled Tasks ] *****

***** [ Shortcuts ] *****

***** [ Registry ] *****

Key Found : HKLM\SOFTWARE\AVG SafeGuard toolbar

***** [ Browsers ] *****

-\\ Internet Explorer v10.0.9200.17054

Setting Found : HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main [Start Page] - hxxps://www.ixquick.com/

-\\ Mozilla Firefox v31.0 (x86 en-US)

[ File : C:\Users\Scott\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\7a9e9569.default\prefs.js ]

Line Found : user_pref("browser.startup.homepage", "hxxps://www.ixquick.com/");

AdwCleaner[R0].txt - [1366 octets] - [18/08/2014 13:49:57]
AdwCleaner[R1].txt - [1429 octets] - [01/09/2014 07:13:12]
AdwCleaner[R2].txt - [1489 octets] - [01/09/2014 07:44:52]
AdwCleaner[R3].txt - [1351 octets] - [05/09/2014 12:31:11]

########## EOF - C:\AdwCleaner\AdwCleaner[R3].txt - [1411 octets] ##########

dbreeze

dbreeze

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,216 posts

Re-run AdwCleaner

Close all open windows and browsers.

• Double click the AdwCleaner icon to run AdwCleaner. (Vista and 7 users) Right click the AdwCleaner icon, click Run as administrator and accept the UAC prompt to run AdwCleaner.
  • Click the Scan button and wait for the scan to complete.
  • When the Scan has finished the Scan button will be grayed out and the Clean button will be activated.
  • Click the Clean button.
  • Everything checked will be deleted.
  • When the program has finished cleaning a report appears.
  • Once done it will ask to reboot, allow this

adwcleaner_delete_restart.jpg
  • On reboot a log will be produced please copy / paste that in your next reply. This report is also saved to C:\AdwCleaner\AdwCleaner[S0].txt

After that let me know how the MalwareBytes AntiMalware reinstall and free space on the main drive go.  Thanks.

everythingsm

everythingsm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

MB installed working on install (2nd day), log posted.  and need more time to decrease the drive size.

# AdwCleaner v3.309 - Report created 09/09/2014 at 13:55:31
# Updated 02/09/2014 by Xplode
# Operating System : Windows 7 Professional Service Pack 1 (32 bits)
# Username : Scott - SCOTT-PC
# Running from : C:\Users\Scott\Downloads\adwcleaner_3.309.exe
# Option : Clean

***** [ Services ] *****

***** [ Files / Folders ] *****

Folder Deleted : C:\ProgramData\Windows Genuine Advantage
File Deleted : C:\Users\Scott\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\7a9e9569.default\invalidprefs.js
File Deleted : C:\Users\Scott\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\7a9e9569.default\user.js

***** [ Scheduled Tasks ] *****

***** [ Shortcuts ] *****

***** [ Registry ] *****

Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\AVG SafeGuard toolbar

***** [ Browsers ] *****

-\\ Internet Explorer v10.0.9200.17054

Setting Restored : HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main [Start Page]

-\\ Mozilla Firefox v31.0 (x86 en-US)

[ File : C:\Users\Scott\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\7a9e9569.default\prefs.js ]

Line Deleted : user_pref("browser.startup.homepage", "hxxps://www.ixquick.com/");

AdwCleaner[R0].txt - [1366 octets] - [18/08/2014 13:49:57]
AdwCleaner[R1].txt - [1429 octets] - [01/09/2014 07:13:12]
AdwCleaner[R2].txt - [1489 octets] - [01/09/2014 07:44:52]
AdwCleaner[R3].txt - [1491 octets] - [05/09/2014 12:31:11]
AdwCleaner[R4].txt - [1551 octets] - [09/09/2014 13:54:01]
AdwCleaner[S0].txt - [1458 octets] - [09/09/2014 13:55:31]

########## EOF - C:\AdwCleaner\AdwCleaner[S0].txt - [1518 octets] ##########

dbreeze

dbreeze

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,216 posts

Thanks for the update, everythingsm.  Good news about MalwareBytes Antimalware running again.  We'll be waiting for your information on the drive free space and if that helps.  :spoton:

everythingsm

everythingsm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

MB still running and cleared to 113GB available on C drive.  I will be traveling for work for a week and will not be on this system until 9/20. So i'll see how it goes once I return. The system is running better thanks.