Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Why can't he log on?

• Please log in to reply

angelcake

angelcake

• Pip
  • 4 posts
My father in law has tried to log onto his computer but it isn't letting him past the dialog box asking for his password. He can get into safe mode but that is all, he can't get on the internet or anything, can anyone please advise what he can do?
:tazz:

Advertisements

Jacamus

Jacamus

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
edit by mod. removed link

angelcake

angelcake

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi, sorry to sound dumb....how does this work?? how do I get the information from it.

He hasn't forgotten his password as I know it too so are you suggesting that a virus program or something has taken over? He does use his computer a lot for online betting etc

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
so what happens when heputs his password in any error messages ?

Mr.KnowItAll

Mr.KnowItAll

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
u should try ERD Commander. this will enable u to reset password to any account.
this is not freeware, but im sure u can find it someplace

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
first off we don't list password utilities. We have no way to control how they are used.

Secondly ERD is a very expensive program.

We only talk about legally obtained software. anything else is banned by our Terms of service.

Now, you said he can get into safe mode but not normal mode. If he chooses safe mode with networking what happens?

angelcake

angelcake

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi, I haven't actually seen his computer, he has phoned me asking for advice!!! He says that he can turn the computer on, it loads in to the page where you have to input his user name and password click ok then get into desktop!...his problem is that when he enters the username and password nothing happens, no error messages, nothing! If he got into safe mode with networking what would that mean? what would he be able to do from there and how would he do it? I am not great with computers, just know the basics but I am the closest to an "Expert" he knows!

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
2 options I would try
1) when the computer starts and you get a bar running across the bottom of the window
start tapping the F8 key. (He should know how to do this as you say he can get into safe mode). A screen should come up asking how you want to start your computer.
one of the options is Last Known Good configiration. Highlight this and press enter.
If this does not help then
2) Start the computer in the same way as above but this time pick safe mode
once in safe mode go to Start > Help and support > Pick a task > undo changes to your computer with system restore click on this and follow the wizard and pick a date a day or two before he had trouble.
If either of these don't work let us know