Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Home Search "Assistent" and iedw.exe

• Please log in to reply

jlasocal

jlasocal

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have severly injured HSA but it is still kicking. I have managed to remove the "Home Search Assistent" program using various techniques from across the web. I no longer have the 4 [bleep] sites being added to my browser. When IE comes up it goes to about:blank, but no page shows. So I consider this a minor victory.

I cannot seem to get rid of whatever it is that keeps changing the home page in IE (FYI I now use Firefox...very happy with it). My question is this. I found this program in C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer. It calls itself IE crash detection and the file name is iedw.exe. It was downloaded at the same time I started having my HSA problems. I try to delete iedw...no deal. rename it...forget it. It just keeps coming back and no spyware detectors ever flag it. Is this a legit program? That seems unlikely. Is it HSA related or something else. And most importantly, how do I get rid of it and keep my home page from being changed. I no longer use IE, but the idea of something messing around with my registry bothers me.

Advertisements