Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

64 bit windows 8 installed and my printer keeps going off-line at rand

• Please log in to reply

cindiv

cindiv

• Pip
  • 3 posts

I have two identical printers in the office and this morning both started giving offline error.  I am not aware of anything which may have caused it.  

I am using a pcl6 driver but tried installing a pcl5 driver to see if that might work.  I can't seem to connect the driver to the network printer because when I plug in the IP address and the install package looks for the printer, I get a message that the printer is not found (I am guessing because it was offline).  

Tried turning it off for 20-30 minutes hoping a cold reset might work,  no luck.  

Any ideas?  We desperately need these printer to run by tomorrow.  

Cindi 

Advertisements

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Hello Cindi!

What make and model are your printers. I might be able to help you if they are HP printers.

donetao!

cindiv

cindiv

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Both printers are HP 4650 DTN printers  

I have given each one a separate IP address and they seem to work for a while and then suddenly they give me the printer offline message.  

I wonder if it is a driver issue or a ram issue or.....?  

Edited by cindiv, 19 August 2014 - 08:08 PM.

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Hello Cindi

Shot in the dark! See if this works for you! I have a hp printer and this has worked for me.

http://h10025.www1.h...us&dlc=en&lc=en

PS I have the same problem. I don't know?? I just turn off my printer and turn it back on and then every thing is cool

HP has steadily gone down hill with their products and their support.

Personally I think it's a HP issue, but I serious doubt if they are going to fix the problem.

donetao!

Edited by donetao, 19 August 2014 - 11:00 PM.

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Hi cindiv!

I try very hard to help here on GTG.

You might find this helpful!!

http://h20565.www2.h...44892.492883150

PS I have been banned from their forum, but I still offer suggestions even though I think their products and support stink.

Edited by donetao, 19 August 2014 - 11:17 PM.

DSTM

DSTM

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

Hi Cindi. Welcome to GTG.

Further to the sound advice above you could try this from Microsoft to stabilize your printers.

Disable SNMP on the printer port. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, and then click Printers and Faxes.
  2. Right-click the printer, and then click Properties.
  3. Click the Ports tab.
  4. Click Configure Port.
  5. Click to clear the SNMP Status Enabled check box, click OK, and then click Close.

Edited by DSTM, 19 August 2014 - 11:46 PM.

donetao

donetao

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Hey DSTM

Welcome aboard.

Great advise.

Thanks for your reply!

PS  Its GTG not GHG :laughing:

cindiv

cindiv

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Figured out the problem for this one.  It was much simpler than I thought....but so simple I overlooked it.  I restarted everything including the modem, router and printers BUT I did not unplug the hub that was connecting everything.  The weak link and I just never thought about restarting that!  As soon as I did the printers came back online.  THANKS SO MUCH for your help!  

Really appreciate this forum!  

Cindi