Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Norton stops working every few days, leaving me unprotected. [Closed]

norton security

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

jjii66

jjii66

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Hello. I have a Toshiba laptop with Windows 7. It has the newest version of Norton security suite, which came free with Comcast. Every few days Norton stops working. All four squares are red with an X, instead of yellow with the green check mark. After I click "fix now", I'm protected... but only for a few days, then it happens again. 

I have the same version on my desktop computer, and it works perfectly! The desktop is directly connected to the router, while the laptop is connected wirelessly as you might expect. That's the only difference between the two computers as far as I can see. And I haven't done anything weird to my Windows security settings, as I'm not tech- savvy enough to even mess with stuff like that.

(It's been this way for months, so I downloaded the latest version of Norton last week... but the problem persists.)

Someone please help!

Edited by jjii66, 25 August 2014 - 08:26 PM.

Advertisements

dbreeze

dbreeze

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,216 posts

Hi jjii66,

Welcome to Geeks to Go. My name is dbreeze and I'll be helping you with this problem. Before I get into the removal of malware / correction of your problem, I need you to be aware of the following:

• As I am in the final phase of training right now, my responses to you may be delayed slightly as they have to be checked by my adviser (good news for you, as there will be two sets of eyes fixing your problem). I promise to be as prompt as possible in helping you, so please bear with me and we will get through this.
  • Please read all of my response through at least once before attempting to follow the procedures described.I would recommend printing them out, if you can, as you can check off each step as you complete it. Also, as some of the cleaning may be done in Safe Mode and there will be no internet connection then, you will find that having the steps printed for reference speeds the cleaning process along. If there's anything you don't understand or isn't totally clear to you, please come back to me for clarification before you start those steps.
  • All of the assistants and staff at Geeks to Go are here on a volunteer basis; please respect our time given to the cause of helping others.If you are going to be away for more than 4 days, please let me know here. (I will do the same for you.) We do realize that 'life happens' and situations arise unexpectedly; we just ask that you keep us up to date. That being said, please notice the following Geeks to Go rule:
  • Posts that are not replied to in four (4) days will result in the topic being closed. We have not forgotten you; this is just an effort to keep the boards organized and flowing. To continue on your closed topic, please PM me or any Moderator to have the topic reactivated. If, at any time during our working together, I have not responded to you in 2 days (48 hours), then please PM me.
  • Malware removal is a complex, multiple step process; please stay with me on this thread (don't start another thread) until I declare that your logs are clean and you are good to go. The absence of apparent issues does not mean your system is clean; I will tell you when everything looks good for you to go and help you remove the tools we have used.
  • If any of the security programs on your system should give any warnings about the software tools I ask you to download and use, please do not be alarmed.All of the tools I will have you use are safe to use (as instructed) and malware free.
  • While we strive to disrupt your system as little as possible, things happen.If you can, it would be best to back up your personal files now (if you do not already have a backup). You can store these on a CD/DVD, USB drive or stick, anywhere but on your same system. This will save you from possible anguish later if something unforeseen happens.
  • Please do not run any other tools or scanners than what I ask you to.Some of the openly available software made for malware removal can make changes to your system that interfere with the cleaning of the malware, or even destroy your system. I will use only what the situation calls for and direct you in the proper use of that software.
  • Please do not attach any log files to your replies unless I specifically ask you.Instead please copy and paste so as to include the log in your reply. You can do this in separate posts if it's easier for you.

Let's get started....

Before we look at any possible malware issues that may cause this, can you answer some questions first?

1)  Was there a different Security software package on this system before the "Norton for Comcast" package?

2)  When you installed the latest version, did you uninstall the old version first or just install the new version?

3)  When you get the 4 red squares, does it give you any other error messages?  Are there any errors in getting definition updates?

4)  Does the laptop go into hibernation / sleep mode or do you completely power the laptop off when it is not in use?

5)  Other than the "stuttering of Norton" are there any other issues?  Browser redirects or search problems?

jjii66

jjii66

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Thank you for responding.

1) Might have been a free trial of some sort, way back when the computer was new...  if it was, it was probably Norton.

2) I recently installed the new version over the old. (The old version had the same problem.)

3) No and no.

4) Completely powered off, every day.

5) No other problems.

dbreeze

dbreeze

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,216 posts

Hi jjii66,

Thanks for the answers; they point us in the right direction. Let's see if a clean re-install of the Norton Suite will solve the issue.

The utility in the link below will uninstall the current copy of the Norton Suite, reboot your system, download the very latest version fo the Suite and install it for you. Your license, keys and settings should be saved and transfered to the new install automatically, so you don't have to worry about those things.

To start the process (when you are ready), please go to this page and follow the numbered steps.

Let us know how this goes for you and if you have any questions or problems with the Norton RNR utility.

jjii66

jjii66

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Ran RNR, and got the following message:

"Failed to detect any Norton product that could be automatically upgraded."

I think maybe it only checks for outdated versions?

Edited by jjii66, 27 August 2014 - 09:31 AM.

dbreeze

dbreeze

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,216 posts

Hi jjii66,

Sorry to hear that did not work as planned but I do have a "Plan B" that will work; I have to get it approved first and then posted here.  I just wanted to let you know I have not forgotten you.  :geek:

dbreeze

dbreeze

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,216 posts

Plan B as promissed:

1) Download the Norton Removal Tool from this link. Follow the directions on this page to remove your current installation of the Norton for Comcast suite.

2) When the system reboots from running the tool the first time, run the tool once more. This will remove all traces of any Norton product that may have been installed as a trial on the laptop and leave it clean for the installation of the Norton suite. The tool will run and ask for a reboot once more; allow this to happen.

3) Once the system reboots the second time, run the installation of the Norton for Comcast suite from your account at Comcast or the download you made a few days ago.

4) Once the installation is done (follow the prompts during the installation), run a manual Live Update until the program informs you that there are no more updates to download. Reboot the system once more to load all the updates in place.

5) See if your error is fixed now.

If you have any questions or there are any problems with these instructions, please come back here for clarification before continuing. Let us know this works for you.

jjii66

jjii66

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Thanks. I followed your instructions, now I just have to wait a few days to see whether Norton keeps working by itself.

I noticed that it didn't run a scan after it was installed, or after I restarted the computer. Seems like it should have, but I don't know. 

dbreeze

dbreeze

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,216 posts

Hi jjii66,

Fingers crossed on this one also; time will tell.

As to the scans, I'm thinking that Norton will run a Quick Scan after full definition updates (so the scan should be triggered at least once a day).  Let us know how things progress with this system.  Thanks.

jjii66

jjii66

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

So far, so good.... We'll see how it does over the next couple of days. Thanks for your help!

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.