Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot log into certain web sites [Solved]

login internet web sites

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts

Oh, I took from your opening statement that it was only a Firefox problem. I clearly misunderstood.

My mistake. :whistling:

Okay then, my next best idea is that it is being blocked by your security programs somewhere.

Please try disabling Windows Defender.

Go to the link below for instructions on how to turn off Windows Defender.

http://windows.micro...n-off=windows-7

Tell me if that makes a difference.

Advertisements

wayneman50

wayneman50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

No difference.

wayneman50

wayneman50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

FYI, I turned Windows Defender back on.

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts

Next move is to try uninstalling and reinstalling your anti-virus.

In fact you might like to uninstall it and see if things work okay without it and then reinstall. If you want some protection in between try installing MSE Microsoft Security Essentials as a temporary measure.

Microsoft Security Essentials

MSE will turn off Windows Defender as it's functions replace it. Do not re-enable it. In fact I am surprised that Avast didn't do the same thing.

Make sure you uninstall Avast before you install MSE otherwise you will run into more difficulties.

Try that and tell me how it goes. :)

PS I have to go out now for an hour or two but I will check in when I get back.

wayneman50

wayneman50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

any special procedure to uninstall avast?

wayneman50

wayneman50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

nevermind i found it

wayneman50

wayneman50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

No change.

wayneman50

wayneman50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

I have followed your latest steps, and the problems are still there. Thanks.

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts

Well maybe we are looking at this from the wrong end.

Is this only happening on importcds.com?

wayneman50

wayneman50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

No. Also pof.com and a couple others. Please reread my initial entry. I think I described it pretty well there.

Advertisements

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts

And you have no problem getting to the sites, it's just when you try and sign in?

Edit:

The reason am seeking confirmation of that is because sometimes it can be to do with log in on the site but be also related to your browser. If you can get to the site then it's not your browser blocking you but it might be something to do with cookies or data in your browser that the site requires to allow access e.g. if you have cookies blocked and the site requires a cookie before it will let you log in, then you will be rejected.

Earlier we attempted to fix the browser side of the issue by clearing cache but it might be something to do with cookies.

Here is a link to Firefox's page which deals with log in issues. Although your problem seemed to cover both browsers it might be worth trying the actions outlined there. The re-installation of Firefox suggestion I put forward earlier was also aimed at the same sort of thing i.e. to clear any impediment there might be in personal data and customizations.

wayneman50

wayneman50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

And you have no problem getting to the sites, it's just when you try and sign in?...Correct.

Here is a link to Firefox's page which deals with log in issues.....I did all that applied to me (e.g. I have no extensions.)

I'm going to uninstall and reinstall Firefox now.

wayneman50

wayneman50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

I uninstalled and reinstalled Firefox. I still have the problem.

Do you know how to get that menu to show at the top of Firefox, with File, Bookmarks, etc?

wayneman50

wayneman50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

I got the menu bar back.

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts

So, as far as I am aware this problem applies to only two sites and across both browsers that you use.

We have tried all the things that I can think of that might relate to something happening from your end i.e. your computer. I think it's time for you to tell the two sites what has happened and see what they can do about it. We have had similar problems in the past with sites my wife and I use. The solution in one case was just a renewal of the password in another the site cancelled our registration and asked us to register again. Some problem they were having.

If you don't get satisfaction that way then the technical people here may have an idea about what is going on. You could open a topic here if you wish.

Meantime let's have one last check before I give you the clean up instructions.

Please download the latest version of TDSSKiller from here and save it to your Desktop.

• Doubleclick on TDSSKiller.exe to run the application, then click on Change parameters.

5350-113-187993.png

• Then click on Change parameters in TDSSKiller.
  • Another window will appear.
  • Check all boxes then click OK.
  • Click the Start Scan button.

tdss_3.jpg

• The scan should take no longer than 2 minutes.
  • If a suspicious object is detected, the default action will be Skip, click on Continue.

tdss_4.jpg

• If malicious objects are found, they will show in the Scan results - Select action for found objects and offer three options.

Ensure Cure (default) is selected, then click Continue > Reboot now to finish the cleaning process.
tdss_5.jpg
Note: If Cure is not available, please choose Skip instead, do not choose Delete unless instructed.

• A report will be created in your root directory, (usually C:\ folder) in the form of "TDSSKiller.[Version]_[Date]_[Time]_log.txt". Please copy and paste the contents of that file here.

After that

Please run another FRST scan with the Addition.txt box ticked and post back the two logs generated - FRST.txt and Addition.txt.

So when you return please post

• TDSSKiller log (this one may be quite long - if you wish just attach it)
  • FRST.txt
  • Addition.txt