Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

im new please help!

• Please log in to reply

tranman527

tranman527

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I tweaked the BIOS features on my PC and when I restarted the system, it wouldn't perform a power-on self test, all i get is a black screen . How can i fix this problem?

Edited by tranman527, 10 June 2005 - 04:49 PM.

Advertisements

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
hi tranman,
what features did you tweak in the bios?

you will probably need to reset the CMOS. shut down the PC, and unplug it. open the case, then ground yourself by touching a metal part of the case BEFORE touching any of the components inside.

locate the battery on the motherboard. near it should be 3 pins, with a jumper cap over pins 2-3. there is usually a label on the board near these pins that says clear cmos, or reset cmos, along those lines.
to reset, move the jumper cap from pins 2-3, and replace it over pins 1-2. leave it there for 10-30 seconds, then replace the jumper over 2-3.
plug the pc back in, and power up. watch for the message telling you what key to press to enter BIOS (usually delete, F1, or F2).

do that, and you should see a setting that says load default settings, or load fail safe settings. do that, then go through and make any needed changes to get your system running normally.

if you need help finding the reset jumper or anything, please list the computer make/model, or your motherboard make/model.

tranman527

tranman527

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Thanks audioboy, i did everything you said and my system started up and running perfectly normal now. =)

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
excellent, glad to hear it!