Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mobo toasted? (solved)

• Please log in to reply

khazarian

khazarian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
STATUS REPORT:UPDATE.

Installed used replacement cpu from ebay. Only hooked up cooler fan. Cooler fan runs! Pci-e slot leds light up. Ram led also fires up. Mobo power button glows red. Post code reads d3. Don't know its meaning. Zero beep codes from mobo. Later tonight I will add 1 stick of ram followed with the video card. I gots my fingers and toes crossed and my pupils are dilated!

Advertisements

khazarian

khazarian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
After installing one stick of ram, mobo beeps two short followed by 5 longs. That's probably the signal for no graphics card.

khazarian

khazarian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
Sorry but the beeps were two rapid-pause-7 longer beeps. Will attach video card next.

khazarian

khazarian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
Mobo post shows cpu temp at 31C and so the ram slots are detected by the orange led. Plus green light indicator for system on is working.

khazarian

khazarian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
Appears I had a busted cpu. That's good if true. Only cost me another $200 to replace it. And I made sure to buy a better heatsink and fan assembly.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

thanks for the update, looking good so far.

Wiil you now add the OS hard drive and see if you can Boot windows? or will you install the new CPU to see if it will be recognised? 

khazarian

khazarian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
I think I would want to install the new cpu-it's the same model as the old one; intel i5 760. The used cpu is Intel 540 i3. That's the only legitimate reason I can imagine. Anyway, a wreath of gratitude to everyone for their wonderful support.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Your welcome.

You did the right thing with testing of the used ebay CPU, so I suggest you follow the same steps for the new on.

After you are able to Boot into the BIOS ( with the OS HDD not connected) > load Default setting, > restart, enter the BIOS again, > Check, language/time/date, > Check that storage is set to AHCI, > check the RAM is set to XMP, (if available) > Save setting, exit.   After the restart, > shut down, > connect the OS HDD, test.

Good luck

khazarian

khazarian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
But if I just connect the keyboard and press F2 during power up, won't that have the same effect as entering the bios and selecting default settings?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Just looked at your manual and, yes, F2 will load defautl settings.   You will still need to enter the BIOS to check the settings I mentioned as on some boards, Default for storage controller is set to IDE, and RAM will not have the XMP profile enabled. 

Advertisements

khazarian

khazarian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
It's true about XMP profile. I tried enabling it and was 'no dice'. My next board will allow XMP.

khazarian

khazarian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
No hardware has been attached to the NEW CPU but during power on, mobo is showing 39C at idle. That sounds on the high side using the stock cooler. Using Arctic Silver 5.

khazarian

khazarian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
Changed to a coolerMaster N520 cooler from a stock and idle temp is the same at 39C. There might be a difference running Prime95. Not going to overclock the ram or cpu.

khazarian

khazarian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
Weird stuff here. Computer is breadboard status and works normally. But after installing it back into its full size tower, it won't turn on. Checked all the connections and cleared cmos several times. My computer is possessed or something.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Sorry to hear you are still having problems.

Temps.   I think that some CPUs just run hotter than others, 39C is warm but 30ish at idle would be better.   I am in the middle of testing a new build, i7 4790K, stock cooler custom TIM, everything else installed, running idle in a full tower, side still removed, 39C.   Not terrible happy, hope it comes better once closed up.

Do the PSU and CPU fans spin up?

I suggest you work backwards to try and find the issue.   Testing between every step.

Disconnect all fans except the CPU, then,

Front USB 3.0.

Front USB, 2.0.

Front sound.

Case panel controls.

Optical drive.

HDD.

Monitor.

GPU.

RAM.

If still won't boot.   Possible the board is cracked, or a broken trace, or (highly unlikely) a screw is shoring out at the MB screw hole.

Remove the top row of MB screws.

Then the bottom row.

Then first two screws closest to the back panel ports, leaving one, middle/right side.

If still fail, put one screw, middle row, closest to the back panel ports, remove the right side middle one.

Some other things I have know to cause issues.

Not having the I/O shield that came with the MB instilled.

One or more standoffs being a different hight to the rest.   

The CMOS battery is making a poor or no contact.