Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mobo toasted? (solved)

• Please log in to reply

khazarian

khazarian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
Using a mixture of Monkey Goo and Arctic Silver Ceramique2 could be responsible for the middling cpu temp?
Before I started having issues, the idle temp was 28C but speed fan reported high core temps around 48C-54C.
It's the i7s that tend to run hotter-that's why I opted for the LGA1156 quad core i5.
And I didn't need the built-in video either.

Advertisements

khazarian

khazarian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
Again in breadboard mode. CPU+fan+ram modules only. Computer off and removed mobo battery. Switched computer on and pressed and held cmos for 10 seconds. Turned off psu and returned battery. Opened psu switch*nd pressed on board power button. All the mobo leds flash and cpu and psu fans spin for 2 seconds and then stop. Mobo leds also flicker off. Is this a symptom of a defective mobo, battery or psu? Inquiring minds need to know.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

If Monkey Goo is some sort of cleaner, I would not use.   The "correct" type f cleaner is 99% pure Isopropyl Alcohol or a kit like this, > http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835100010

Are you using the new PSU?

Try removing the RAM and test. 

khazarian

khazarian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
IMonkey Goo is a brand of tim. I mixed it with some ArcticSilver ceramique2. It hasn't exploded yet but I'm expecting something like that to happen.
I got tired of wrestling with the Corasair HX 850 psu so I hooked up the new EVGA 1000 G2 Super Nova. Guess what? Mobo fired right up and purred like a Ferrari on nitro. I'll be sticking everything back in the case tomorrow.

khazarian

khazarian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
This thread is now closed. In the meantime, the generous help I received was invaluable and I learned some stuff along the way.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

I do think you would get lower temps by again cleaning up the CPU/heatsink and applying Arctic silver, (or similar) straight, no mixing with something else.

Great that you got the problem,  so I will mark the topic as solved, but it will not be closed in case others may find the steps useful when attempting solving thair problems.

Good luck. sorted

khazarian

khazarian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
Just to let the gallery know, somehow both the cpu and psu went out. Once they were replaced; Oila!
Running OS, idle temp is back to 30C again.

khazarian

khazarian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
In order to pull off the cpu cooler, I have to remove the mobo because assembled with a back plate. Therefore I didn't change the tim that's half Monkey Goo and half Arctic Silver.

khazarian

khazarian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
I think I invented a new product. It's called Arctic Monkey!

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

So apart from the temps being a bit high, is the rig running OK now? 

Advertisements

khazarian

khazarian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
Temps are great. Idling at 27C and the cores are in the low 30s. But when it emerges from hibernation, there is no mouse pointer for a few minutes although the keyboard works fine. Wonder why the mouse issue?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Good to hear the temps are better.

Try the mouse in a different port, try a different mouse, see if same results.

khazarian

khazarian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
Turning off the acceleration feature in mouse's software package did the trick. It's a Logitech G5 gaming mouse..

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Phew, glad you sorted that one. 

khazarian

khazarian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
Some observations about the cpu. The first one was manufactured in Costa Rica. This new one came from Malay. I heard the Malays are more reliable. If you have an Intel board, might be something to keep in mind.