Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Chrome hijacked -- Avast blocking constant harmful webpages/files [Clo

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

LiquidTension

LiquidTension

Expert

• Expert
  • 1,151 posts

Sounds good, Julie. 

Advertisements

Twins_1997

Twins_1997

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Apologies --- I didn't check my friend's work schedule prior to posting this and assumed it was the same as her "normal" week.  It turns out that she had to work yesterday and today, and unfortunately does not have a day off until next Wednesday.  I'll run the fix then and post the results but that means that it will be nearly a week.  Sorry about that.  :(

LiquidTension

LiquidTension

Expert

• Expert
  • 1,151 posts

No problem, Julie. There's no rush. :)

Twins_1997

Twins_1997

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Ugh.  I'm VERY VERY frustrated.  I downloaded the Windows Repair All In One program (link was dead but I found the program on Bleeping Computer).    Disc check said it needed to run checkdisk, and it rebooted fine after that.  

Then ran the System File check and left it running while I returned to work.  My friend said that it seemed to finish running, rebooted to Windows, had her desktop in the background and a window in the middle (I did a screen capture once I got back there) that said "Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library" at the top of the frame, and "Runtime error:  Program: C:\\pr... this application has requested to terminate in an unusual way...".

When I closed the window, there was another Windows error message underneath it; when I clicked something for more information, a blue screen with a ton of writing flashed briefly, then the computer rebooted.  On reboot, there was another blue screen, the only part of which I saw (it flashed only briefly) was a message that said "Run the driver verifier again".  It asked about starting normally or in safe mode; I chose normally, but it then wanted to run Startup Repair.  That asked about restoring from a restore point, but since I have no clue whether or not there are any restore points, I told it to just repair.  It ran, then gave the message "Startup repair cannot repair this computer".  

The computer no longer boots.  Minus the missing programs from the program listing, it was COMPLETELY fine earlier.   I have GOT to get this back booting and running as her son is in the throes of applying to colleges.  ARGH!

LiquidTension

LiquidTension

Expert

• Expert
  • 1,151 posts

Hello, 

I'm sorry to hear that happened after running Windows Repair.

Lets see if we can get your computer booting again by using Last Known Good Configuration. 

Go here and click How do I start the computer using Last Known Good Configuration? to view instructions on how to do so. 

Twins_1997

Twins_1997

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Thanks -- I'll go over and give it a try as soon as I can slide away from work, which might be a half hour or so..  One other question for you in case you happen to know:  I tried to log in on my phone so that I can use my phone to reply while I'm over there (since the computer is being less than cooperative, and it's the only computer she has).  However, no matter how I try to log in, it simply won't allow it.  I always get an invalid username or password, whether I use my username or my e-mail address.  I've tried quite a few times so I don't think that I've mistyped it every time (though I do recognize the awkwardness of phone keyboards...).  Are you aware of any issues related to logging in on an android system?  I'm baffled.

LiquidTension

LiquidTension

Expert

• Expert
  • 1,151 posts

Have you tried clearing your browser cache? 

(this may log you out from other sites)

I'll look into if this is an issue with the site or not. 

Twins_1997

Twins_1997

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Thanks.  I'll give it a try.  I'm using Chrome, but maybe I'll try the default browser (not sure what it is on a Samsung Galaxy S3).

Twins_1997

Twins_1997

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

No luck on logging in on the phone.  I'm tempted to try resetting my password to something simpler (it's currently still the GTG-generated one from when I did a password reset last month, having not been here in so long that I had forgotten my old one), but I'm a bit afraid of winding up unable to log in from anywhere.

LiquidTension

LiquidTension

Expert

• Expert
  • 1,151 posts

There doesn't appear to be an issue with the site. 

I can (and so can others) sign in using my Android phone with no problems. 

Have you cleared your browser cookies/cache? Please check if cookies are indeed enabled for your browser. 

Did you check using the default Android browser as well? 

Advertisements

Twins_1997

Twins_1997

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

I did clear my cache on Chrome (and cookies should be enabled, since I log into other sites directly from the browser (I'm not (yet?) an "app" fan), so I've been able to log into Facebook, eBay, etc. and return to the sites later without having to log in again.  I tried the default browser as well with no success.  At some point I'll try changing my password, but I've got limited time today and that's at the bottom of the priority heap at the moment.

The good news:  I'm now on my lunch break and back on my friend's computer, which actually booted up to the desktop.  However, there *was* an error message after boot -- a window that said "Windows has recovered form an unexpected shutdown.  Windows can check online for a solution to the problem.  I did click to have it check, but didn't download any updates.  I'm not sure whether this message will appear every time that she boots up.  (it's one of the two messages that was on before when I ran the System check).   I clicked on the option to have Windows search on-line for a solution to the problem, and it came back with something about running Windows Update, which I didn't do.  I have a window in the background that says "Problem Reports and Solutions -- Solve a Problem with Windows Vista. Windows Vista has stopped working properly. Microsoft Inc is aware of this problem and working as quickly as possible to make a solution available."  I'm not sure what will happen once I close that window, but I"m going to post this reply first!

However, I DID realize something that I did wrong in installing the System check:  I downloaded it to the Desktop, but when I installed it, I was thinking that it was also supposed to be installed to the desktop, so I overrode the suggested directory (um, folder... I'm old enough to have learned on DOS...) and installed it to the desktop.  It wasn't until I was on my way over here about ten minutes ago that I had that "d'oh" realization.  Not sure whether or not that is something that would screw things up (besides adding a bunch of extraneous icons/files to the desktop, which of course it did), but wanted to mention it just in case. 

Should I still run the Last Known Good thing?

Twins_1997

Twins_1997

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

I closed the window, and the computer did not crash or anything.  I'm going to try to reboot and see if the error is an every-time thing or clears.  At this point I'd just like to get the computer back so that it's running reliably, then worry about the program listing at another time.  Like maybe after her son has left for college. (!).

Twins_1997

Twins_1997

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

I rebooted, and all seems back to what it was this AM:  no error message, but also a fairly unpopulated program file listing.  I'm going to remove all of the Tweaking... files from the desktop so as to remove clutter, but I think at this point it's probably best just to leave the program file issue alone so as not to risk crashing the computer.

LiquidTension

LiquidTension

Expert

• Expert
  • 1,151 posts

OK Julie, 
Lets confirm the machine is free of malware. I'll then direct you to the Windows Vista section, where the Techs can assist you with any non-malware related issues. 

STEP 1
GfiJrQ9.png Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (MBAM)

• Open Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and click Update Now.
  • Once updated, click the Settings tab, followed by Detection and Protection and tick Scan for rootkits.
  • Click the Scan tab, ensure Threat Scan is checked and click Scan Now.
  • Note: You may see the following message, "Could not load DDA driver". Click Yes, allow your PC to reboot and continue afterwards. 
  • If threats are detected, click the Apply Actions button. You will now be prompted to reboot. Click Yes.
  • Upon completion of the scan (or after the reboot), click the History tab.
  • Click Application Logs and double-click the Scan Log.
  • Click Copy to Clipboard and paste the log in your next reply. 

STEP 2
GzlsbnV.png ESET Online Scan
Note: This scan may take a long time to complete. Please do not browse the Internet whilst your Anti-Virus is disabled.

• Please download ESET Online Scan and save the file to your Desktop.
  • Temporarily disable your anti-virus software. For instructions, please refer to the following link.
  • Double-click esetsmartinstaller_enu.exe to run the programme. 
  • Agree to the EULA by placing a checkmark next to Yes, I accept the Terms of Use. Then click Start.
  • Agree to the Terms of Use once more and click Start. Allow components to download.
  • Place a checkmark next to Enable detection of potentially unwanted applications.
  • Click Hide advanced settings. Place a checkmark next to:
    • Scan archives
    • Scan for potentially unsafe applications
    • Enable Anti-Stealth technology
  • Ensure Remove found threats is unchecked.
  • Click Start.
  • Wait for the scan to finish. Please be patient as this can take some time.
  • Upon completion, click esetListThreats.png. If no threats were found, skip the next two bullet points. 
  • Click esetExport.png and save the file to your Desktop, naming it something unique such as MyEsetScan.
  • Push the Back button.
  • Place a checkmark next to KN1w2nv.png and click SzOC1p0.png.
  • Re-enable your anti-virus software.
  • Copy the contents of the log and paste in your next reply.

======================================================

STEP 3
pfNZP4A.png Logs
In your next reply please include the following logs. Please be sure to copy and paste the requested logs, as well as provide information on any questions I may have asked.

• MBAM Scan log
  • ESET Online Scan log

Twins_1997

Twins_1997

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Thank you -- I don't think I"ll be able to get to this for a while, as I'm back at the office and won't have access to the computer again for a while, unfortunately.  I will do so as soon as I'm able to get back there again, but it might be a week or possibly more.