Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HDMI connection to TV leads to blank screen when TV not in use

HDMI Monitor Blank

• Please log in to reply

[email protected]

[email protected]

• Pip
  • 4 posts

I have a traditional computer set up with a monitor but I also have a large screen TV I sometimes use as a secondary display.  If I leave the HDMI cord plugged in but the TV off the monitor will be blank when I boot the computer up.  Disconnecting the HDMI cord or turning on the TV seems to fix the problem.  Is there any way I can leave the HDMI plugged in and still use the monitor even when the TV is off?  I'm using Windows 8.1.

Advertisements

SupeR GeekiN CognitO

SupeR GeekiN CognitO

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
Hi [email protected]

Maybe you have the television set to the main display.
And the monitor set as secondary.

Try going to [pc settings] then [pc & devices] and then [display].

This will show you which display is #1 and #2 and it can be
Adjusted from here as well.

Thank you and have a great day.

SGC

[email protected]

[email protected]

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

When I go to [pc settings] then [pc & devices] and then [display] I see the following:

Display: 1|2 Multiple Monitors

Multiple displays: Duplicate these displays

This is currently your main display.

The only way I can see to select a main display is to change Multiple Displays to "Entend these displays", "Show desktop only on 1", and "Show desktop only on 2".  The setting is lost once I change back to Multiple displays: Duplicate these displays.  I'm not intested in extendng the desktop, just using the TV as a duplicate output, and there seems to be no way of letting the PC know that the monitor is the main display and its okay if the TV is off.

Edited by [email protected], 08 September 2014 - 05:01 PM.

[email protected]

[email protected]

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

I found an option in AMD Catalyst Control Center that allows me to right click the monitor icon and select "Make Preferred".  Seems to make no difference as both still go black when the TV is turned off.

Edited by [email protected], 08 September 2014 - 05:08 PM.

[email protected]

[email protected]

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Ended up purchasing a short male-to-female HDMI cord so I can at least unplug the TV without having to grope around in the darkness behind the computer case.  Not the most elegant of solutions, and I'd still like to be able to be able to hear the computer audio through the receiver when the TV is off, but it works.

Still looking for other suggestions if anyone else wants to chime in.