Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer full of viruses ....slow and crashing

• Please log in to reply

westside

westside

• Pip
  • 3 posts
;)

Please, please ,please can you offer me some advise....

My computer is quite ill....I have a compaq windows 98 computer.... My computer is very slow, this has happened over the last year and found out that as my anti virus software ran out..... I was using the internet unprotected. This caused lots of problems.... as a result I was advised to download Ad aware...... I ran a full scan check and it says detected 588 critical objects after about 45 mins...when I press ok....it shows deleting bar...then ..... nothing else happens... Crashs when I try and do anything to it.

Even the desktop is infected.... the lay out looks funny and have noticed that
unsavoury icons have popped up and cannot remove them. Noticed aswell that when dialling out I hear no sound anymore...and the icons don't seem to work. I checked my phone bill and all of a sudden the number and price to use the internet has changed.....

Its all a mess :tazz:

Please can you advise me on what to do..... How can I get my computer back to its original factory setting?

Many Thanks...... ;)

Advertisements

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
Hi westside-

you need to go here, and follow the instructions. the tools they provide will help clear up many of the bugs you have, and you may need to post a log as well.
The malware folks are pretty busy, so be patient, they will get to helping you as soon as they can!

westside

westside

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks a million audioboy.... ;)

Will try this..... Am wondering by logging on and using the internet....will more nasties attach themselves onto my computer? ( am using works at the mo) I'll try it out anyway ( hopefully it won't crash) .... Could you suggest how I can tell what number my internet is dialling.... I don't have broadband..just phoneline.

Thanks for all your time...... it really means a lot..and saves my from throwing my computer outta the window.

:tazz:

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
oh boy, its been a while since Ive dealt with dialup...
there should be a way to set the number for your ISP, but I honestly dont remember where that would be (sorry, ive had the broadband for a few years now). try calling the tech support line for your ISP, they should be able to help you out.
if you have a friend with broadband, see if you can get them to download zonealarm for you (its a good quality, free firewall). this will help block any new bugs, and prevent any current infections from "phoning home."
actually, its a fairly small download, so it shouldnt be horrible on dial up.

otherwise, follow the posted instructions over in the malware section.

good luck!