Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer not recognizing external harddrive

wd passport corrupt unplugged damaged

• Please log in to reply

caila1313

caila1313

• Pip
  • 2 posts

I have a WD Passport Ultra 1T that I use to store family pictures etc. It's not my only place of storage, but I haven't stayed consistent in where I put the backups of the backups. (It could take a while to compile and I wouldn't know what specifically I was missing. Not the biggest deal you might say but I have my reasons for having taken these pics and vids in the first place that remain valid)

Anyway, one of my children tried to swipe it (or something) and it unplugged mid file transfer, and then fell 2.5ish feet to the non carpeted floor. Now I am unable to see the drive on my computer, despite that the light is on and the contents are clearly moving with no strange sounds. I can't find any sign of it being recognized anywhere. I even tried to see if it was reassigned a pathway. Not even on the list. I uninstalled the driver and restarted to see if it could reinstall, and it has not. Is there anything else I can do short of sending it to someone to recover files? Looking for constructive suggestions.

Advertisements

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Hi caila1313 :welcome:

I am afraid there may be nothing constructive to say.

Pulling the plug half way through a file transfer is bad enough and normally will mess up the drive, however the worrying thing is that it is no longer being seen on the computer which tells me the fall has done even more damage.

The only suggestion I can come up with is to open the drive casing and remove the hard drive from inside and check all connections are still actually connected, I am hoping the fall just dislodged them and can be put back.

Nev.

caila1313

caila1313

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Thanks Nev! I was actually able, after downloading the driver from the manufacturer's site, to get into the drive! However, my new problem is that my data transfer rates are TERRIBLE! They weren't great to begin with since my computer can be laggy. And I tend to open other programs during. But it's ranging 50-200 kbs now O.O It does successfully move it, and the drive is still able to slowly pull up older files... is this thing a ticking time bomb now?