Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cloning vs Disk imaging What to buy

• Please log in to reply

Janis

Janis

• PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

In searching for software that would be easy to use and reputable,  I keep coming up with two different name,  disk cloning and disk imaging.   I want to make an exact duplicate of a hard drive for back up. Which type, if not the same thing, should I search for and what software product is recomended? Thanks for any advice

Advertisements

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

Hi you would be OK using either method ( they are not dissimilar in application)

Here's the information you need:

http://www.pcworld.c...vs-imaging.html

Macrrium Reflect free will do what you want to achieve, as will most of the other disc imaging utilities that have to be paid for

eg Acronis, Paragon, Symantec Norton, etc

Its a fine thing to have a good disc image made of an up to date smooth running system free from virus or malicious elements, with all junk files removed...... keep several copies with at least one safe offsite on removable media and then you can make further disc images from time to time...daily weelky monthly or at some other interval.....

Using an "incremental" approach to disc imaging can help keep the file storage size under control.

Make sure you validate your images....they MUST be reliable and work correctly as often you will only call on them in times of crisis..... also be sure you have a CD or other device that you can use to boot your system and access yourdisc image in the event that Windows will not load....

Janis

Janis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

If I am reading correctly,  disk imaging would allow me to "add on"  but cloning makes an exact copy of  my new had drive. Do I have that right?   Will Maccrium clone or make images?  Is it easy to use?

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

Hi, dont get too hung up on cloning or imaging..... if you want to be able to get up and running again using a disc image then Macrium Reflect free will do just fine and yes its easy to use.

The disc image is like an electronic photo of your drive, everything thats on there including Windows, your settings passwords, emails Internet music, documents photos etc is faithfully reproduced as a compressed image..... if you hit trouble that cant be fixed in a timely manner by the usual ways then just reimage and your machine will be placed back to the exact state it was in when you made the image

If you have a good disc image preferably a number of them.... then that's all you need.

Regards

paws

Janis

Janis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

thanks for the help.   

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator