Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MS Word keeps shutting down

Word 2003; shut down errors

• Please log in to reply

Vanessa13

Vanessa13

• PipPip
  • 69 posts

Hi everyone,

I hope someone can help me, because I'm about to lose my mind here.

I'm running MS Word 2003 on Windows XP (service pack 2). It's worked fine for years, but, recently, it shuts down the programme and then restarts it 'to recover documents' EVERY time I close a document. If I have more than one doc open, it closes all the documents fine except the last one, which then shuts down the programme. If I'm working on a document and then need to open another document (it can be any existing document or a new one), it also shuts down the programme.

I've deleted all my temporary files, have tried the repair via control panel and the disc, have run a defrag, and have even uninstalled Word entirely and reinstalled it from the disc, but it is still giving me the errors.

I can't be sure, but I suspect it started around the time WPS Office installed itself on my PC. I definitely did NOT install WPS Office, yet it suddenly started popping up messages every half hour insisting I update it. I eventually Googled it and discovered it's a word processing programme, and then decided to just do the update so it would stop annoying me. Next thing, Word starts giving hassles as described above. I then uninstalled WPS Office, and the problem persisted, so I went through the steps mentioned above, but, STILL, Word will not work properly.

Can anyone please help me and tell me how to fix this? I use Word for work daily and constantly need to open and close new documents, and this is wasting a huge amount of time I don't have to waste.

And please don't tell me to get a later version - I cannot afford it.

If anyone can help me fix this, I will love you forever! My sanity really cannot handle this anymore.

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Try using Windows System Restore to roll Windows back to right before you installed WPS Office, ( or another point in time when your computer was functioning correctly). System Restore allows you to undo system changes _without_ affecting your personal files, such as e-mail, documents, or photos.

Vanessa13

Vanessa13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Try using Windows System Restore to roll Windows back to right before you installed WPS Office, ( or another point in time when your computer was functioning correctly). System Restore allows you to undo system changes _without_ affecting your personal files, such as e-mail, documents, or photos.

I can't do that, because I didn't install WPS Office - it installed itself, and I haven't got a clue when it installed itself. The only reason I knew it was there was because it suddenly started insisting on being updated :( For all I know, it was there for months :( I did try a restore, but the dates I chose had no effect when it came to fixing the problem.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Ok, then how about restoring an earlier system image or backup?

Vanessa13

Vanessa13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

What do you mean by 'system image'? I'm not very clued up on these things, sorry.

I didn't create restore points until recently, when I had this trouble and realised what an idiot I was not to do that regularly :( So whatever points I can restore the PC to were auto-generated, and every time I do a restore, it tells me nothing on my PC was changed. So that's not an option, because I could do that indefinitely and still not fix it.

I don't know if this will help or not, but I just remembered that the WPS Office update changed all my documents to open with WPS by default, and I had to change it back manually. Could that be the problem somehow?

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Microsoft.com > What is a system image?

Edited by SpywareDr, 21 September 2014 - 10:59 AM.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

XP's No-Reformat, Nondestructive Total-Rebuild Option - by Fred Langa

Vanessa13

Vanessa13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Thank you for those links. I've looked at them, but they aren't going to help. It's ONLY MS Word giving hassles, not my PC. I've already tested that a while ago. I also tried deleting all my Word templates, but that didn't solve the problem either, nor did disabling all my macros.

Seriously, what is going on here??? I can only think it's a virus, but my anti-virus tells me my PC is virus-free.

Vanessa13

Vanessa13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

What about if I delete the extra global templates in Word? I saw a few days ago I had more than one normal.doc file, but now I can't find that folder again, argh. Can anyone tell me where to find those global templates on my HDD? I tried running a search, but it comes up with nothing, which is ridiculous, because I saw it there just a day or two ago!

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

If you have no viruses/malware, and neither Microsoft's Office Repair or Windows' System Restore resolve the problem, and you do not want to try an Operating System refresh nor do you have a single, solitary Backup, then I'm afraid you're pretty much left with digging through gadzillions of settings trying to figure out exactly which one, or some combination of many, is causing the problem.

Vanessa13

Vanessa13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

I fixed it! YAY!!!

I deleted the entire templates folder in which the normal.dot files are, then restarted my PC. I opened a Word document and, for the first time in weeks, it closed without error :)

I have to change all my preferences and add my styles again, but that's a small price to pay for having Word work properly again.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Excellent! Now that you've got everything working properly, recommend making a backup with EaseUS Todo Backup Free

Edited by SpywareDr, 24 September 2014 - 07:44 AM.