Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

no start menu or icons on xp

xp startup issue

• Please log in to reply

woody6609

woody6609

• Pip
  • 4 posts

i have no start menu or icons, pc takes almost 10 minutes to startup or shutdown also, have to goto task menu to do this, please help

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Hello woody6609,

Do you have an XP or system restore disk for the computer, this in case a Repair installation is required.

Please provide information about your computer, this includes is it a notebook or desktop, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP, if it is a brand name provide the model name or series number (not serial) .

Can you also tell us the storage capacity of the hard drive and how much free storage space is available, better still if you can provide a screenshot for us;

Go to Start then to Run/Search
Type in compmgmt.msc and click Enter
On the left side click on Disk Management
On the right side you will see your hard drive.
Now I need you to take an expanded screenshot and attach it to your next reply.

Do the following to take an expanded screenshot while the above is open and showing on your desktop;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

Is this the same computer as in this thread?  http://www.geekstogo...ow-to-fix-this/

0133Lilone

0133Lilone

• Pip
  • 3 posts

got the same problem cant get into my start menu

0133Lilone

0133Lilone

• Pip
  • 3 posts

my computer is a toshiba  a 105 xp

0133Lilone

0133Lilone

• Pip
  • 3 posts

cant see my start menu or  any icons on the bottom i tried restore but cant get to it