Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Monitor Startup Trouble

• Please log in to reply

nlubin

nlubin

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I own an NVidia GeForce4 MX 4000. Lately whenever I start up my computer, the screen shows either different colored blocks or yellow blocks with the text behind them. I have to reboot about 10 times in order to get the monitor to start properly.

This occurred with my old monitor, as well as my new 2 week old one. Any thoughts?

Thank you in advance.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Look for updated drivers from Nvidia

http://www.nvidia.co...p_2k_71.89.html

nlubin

nlubin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks for the input, but I already updated the drivers. Any other ideas?

Space-Man

Space-Man

• PipPip
  • 97 posts
Well if this has happend before with other monitors that you have owned then maybe it's got something to do with your harddrive.

nlubin

nlubin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I currently have a computer that is 2 weeks old.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Go to device manager, click + next to monitors, click the monitor then right click, click uninstall, click to confirm and reboot.

Windows will find the monitor when it loads

Did you get a software CD with the monitor

Which make is the monitor

nlubin

nlubin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks for the help. This occured with my old and new computer, so I'm sensing it may be the video card. The monitor didn't come with a disc, and I tried the reinstall. Any ideas?

Fiachna

Fiachna

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
nVidia cards in my experience are a bit dodgy and the drivers are often worse, I would suggest looking into a 3dlabs (high end stuff) or Ati card.

nlubin

nlubin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Ok, thanks for your help.

Fiachna

Fiachna

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
As an afterthought after diagnosing my own videocard, it may be that it was exposed to static electricity while it was being built, in which case you are within your legal right to ask for it to be replaced. If it is static and you need a new videocard, make sure you install it in cotton clothing with rubber gloves and in a room that is tiled or has linoleum flooring. Sure it sounds pretty extremist, but these cards are extremely sensitive.

nlubin

nlubin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks, thats a good thought.

Neil