Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Acer Win 7 slow boot.. skype and multiple im boxes per chat (Resolved)

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Can I just check if Vista and/or Windows 7 have been run on this computer before, this to ensure that it has the required system specifications.

Couple of things I would suggest if you are going to prepare another ISO;

Try another brand of DVD disk.

Try another burning software.

Try turning the burning speed down to either X2 or X4.

Use the Windows download tool or Rufus to make the ISO bootable.

third is network boot: atheros boot agent.

FWIW I tend to disable this feature as it doesn't help with the troubleshooting process, you cannot boot from it unless it has previously been configured to do so which involves significant work and specific hardware and software.

Advertisements

xppc

xppc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

i purchased this new (floor model)  last of vista machines with the free windows anytime upgrade for win 7. i will try using a different machine and your above suggestions.

thanks

xppc

xppc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

i forgot to mention the following message after dban was done...

dban finished with non-fatal error.. check log for more information.

i then pressed return and a screen showing like ad ad for blanco appears.. after a couple minutes the screen didnt change so im not sure what the log showed.

i did burn another iso using the windows download tool and will install it over the weekend.

thanks

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

That can happen with autonuke if the computer has a card reader or there is a USB type device connected to the computer.

Hope the latest ISO does the trick.

xppc

xppc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

here is the hard drive after dban and fresh install of win 7. kinda curious as how the linux got on there to begin with, anyway  i will not install anything that has "cleaner" in the name. i did have (and am planning to use unless you have better suggestions)  super anti-spyware, malware bytes, and comodo internet security.

thanks

Attached Thumbnails

• Hard Drive after Dban and restore.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

That looks better but can I ask why you did not put Windows on its own 120GB partition as was suggested, your decision of course just curious.

To help with securing your computer you can take a look at the tutorial provided courtesy of admin here

xppc

xppc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

it was by default the way the instillation went. what would be best to do  resize the partition or create another partition and reload  win 7 on that?  also i was thinking about a small partition to put a linux so i can get online and offline quick if i just need to check email.

thanks

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Try AOMEI Partition Assistant which you can download free from here 

You are welcome  :) 

xppc

xppc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

looks like i need to do this with my mothers win 7 as she was just upgraded from vista also

you are suggesting something like below for the 297.99 gb space

win 7 partition   120gb

data partition    160gb

linux                    17gb

linux swap             1 gb

thanks

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Correct but details from your reply # 20 have me confused;

kinda curious as how the linux got on there to begin with,

Someone has previously installed Linux to your HDD but you have no knowledge of it yet you now wish to install it  :headscratch:

Advertisements

xppc

xppc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

I purchased this as the last vista floor model that office depot had and got the free anytime upgrade to win 7. I only noticed the partition under easeus partion master a few weeks ago when installed that and was going to put a linux (dual boot) on my laptop since im getting tired of windows issues.  I did do a fresh install about about 2 1/2 years ago. When the laptop boots up.. its default is just windows and nothing about a linux system being on here.. that is strange and i wonder if it has been there since day one.  how do i get a menu or option to dual boot what is on here now and see what linux is there?

thanks

I will still be using win 7 but also using a linux as an alternative to get online (and hopefully learn a little). eviidently the linux has been on there but just recently noticed as above from quote 3.

i will change the partition sizes and reload skype and yahoo and see if the multiple chat windows issues and voice calling work correctly now.

thanks

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

The only explanation for the Linux being installed is the store did it (possibly as a demo) if they did it would have been nice if they had told you when you purchased the Acer.

xppc

xppc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

I agree that would have been nice to know. The mutiple windows in instant messaging programs and skype problems have been resovled with the reformat of hard drive and reload of OS. I did repartition the hard drive as suggested.  I will leave this laptop as a dedicated windows machine and may purchase another to use a a dedicated linux machine.

Many thanks for all your help.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

You are most welcome and thank you for the follow up  :thumbsup: