Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer sounds like it is always running

• Please log in to reply

pharmchick99

pharmchick99

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

My computer sounds like it is "working" or running all the time even though I don't have any programs open. Please help me figure out what is wrong.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

:welcome:    pharmchick99

Please explain further as in do you mean that the cooling fans are continually running or the hard drive spinning etc

Please provide information about your computer, this includes is it a notebook or desktop, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP, if it is a brand name provide the model name or series number (not serial) if a custom build post the brand and model name or number for the MB, add on video card if one is used and the PSU (power supply unit) providing these details will enable us to better assist you.

If it is easier you can download then run Speccy (free) and then post the resultant url for us, details here if your computer is a desktop you will need to provide the power supply details as that is one thing Speccy cannot tell us.

NB: So that I can confirm that you have received notification of my reply to your topic please click on the Follow this topic tab at the upper right corner of the page. 

pharmchick99

pharmchick99

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

http://speccy.pirifo...Xnfmay75ZSDZ53W

Power supply: Assuming this is what you need.... Dell AC/DC Adapter, Model DA130PE1-00

It sounds like the hard drive is spinning.

I had a virus on the computer a while back.  I'm not sure how I got it, but I am assuming my kids downloaded something.  I used McAfee as my security program.  I took it to a local tech guy.  He told me McAfee was crap and that he cleaned my computer.  He installed Avast on my system.  However, the virus was not completely eliminated.  I made an effort to rid my system of it on my own.  I uninstalled everything that didn't look like it belonged on the system.  However, I think I deleted something to do with "Realtek Player" because I get an error message every time I start my computer.  In addition, whenever I scanned my system for viruses, it gave me a response that it was unable to scan everything because some programs are password protected.  I tried using the snipping tool to attach a pic of what the response is, but I don't know how to attach it.

The keyboard seems to be hotter than it should be also.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Two things that I noted from Speccy are 1: you are running low on free storage space on the hard drive, you should keep between 20 and 25% of the HDDs overall storage capacity free at all times when the operating system happens to be on that particular drive or partition, this allows for data to be transferred backward and forwards efficiently and helps avoid the OS becoming damaged/corrupt, if the space is allowed to get too low the HDD itself can actually fail. 2: Speccy shows that the computer relies on Intel graphics but there are Nvidea display drivers installed and running, this will cause you problems with conflicts.

The hard drive having to work harder than it should will create extra heat and odd behaviour but in view of what you have mentioned regarding the malware infection it is advised that you check that first and with the help of the experts on those forums if it is needed, please see the GTG malware redirection details below;

I suspect that you have some malware on your computer causing issues that we are not able to solve through means we can use here in the Tech Forums. I suggest you read the 'Start Here' topic found here. With these self-help tools you have a high chance of fixing the problems on your own. If you are still having problems after following Step 3 of the guide, continue with Step 4 and 5 and post in the Malware Forum. If you are unable to run any programs, Please create a topic stating what you have tried so far and that you are unable to run any programs. Also, Please do NOT post the logs in this thread.

If you are still having issues after the malware expert gives you a clean bill of health, Please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Additional guidance;

1: Do not create a topic on the malware forum unless you have a malware issue that you cannot resolve yourself.

2: If you do need to start a topic there provide a link to this thread so that steps that have already been taken can be checked.

3: As the Malware Techs are extremely busy you may not receive an instant reply, if you have waited for three days without reply post in the Waiting Room  be sure to identify the issue as malware related and provide a link to your malware topic.