Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem with CPU fan (Solved)

Best Answer pinson74 , 19 October 2014 - 09:27 PM

Well well I have good news and bad news, I found my problem and it seems it is not my motherboard. I went to the store I purchased the motherboard and the guy did not want to replace it because on... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

pinson74

pinson74

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Will do. It'll take probly until monday to receive my new fan.

Have a good week end until then!

Advertisements

pinson74

pinson74

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Hello,

So I have an update. I had my hand on a second 4 pin fan and I tried it in the cpu fan spot. It was running at maximum half the 2000 RPM. It seems my PMW sensor pin is defective and can't control my fans to max RPM.

So, I'll go take a look to the store I bought the motherboard to look about how long would it would take, I definitely don't feel like to RMA my board but if they can just test it and notice it is truly deffective. May be they will exchange it right away and send the board back to ASus. If they don't do that I don't want to wait 1 month or more to get my card back for a 4th pin that is defective when I can just use 3 pin fan instead. Still, I would have prefered if it was my fan that was defective. I don't like the idea that my motherboard is not perfect.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

I don't know how the warranty is worded in your country, but in the UK and Australia under the Fair Trading Act,your warranty is with the store where you purchased the product, so they are responsible for repair or replacement, then they have to sort things out with the supplier/manufacturer that supplied them.

Let us know what the results are. 

pinson74

pinson74

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
✓  Best Answer

Well well I have good news and bad news, I found my problem and it seems it is not my motherboard. I went to the store I purchased the motherboard and the guy did not want to replace it because on the receipt it wasnt the same serial number. So it looks like they do a bit of weird things at this shop. FIrst of all that motherboard did not had that sticker that seal the board at first, it looks like it had been open already. So if I want to use that store for my card, they will deny any help. I dunno if they made that on purpose but to be honnest I'll be more careful from now on with those things and I won't ever buy from that place, I will even complain to our state because it is not normal and they deserve that one of the government guys go there undercover to see if they do all right.

On the good news, I went back with my card at home, I rebuild my computer and now, 2 of my ram slot don't work at all. They cause my computer to crash on 1 and to not boot on the other, so I investigate about it, I try to get the minimum stuff, on the board, start it out of the case to see if it is not the casing causing a short. Nope. Then, I decide to look for bent pins. I then remove the coolermaster evo another time, I look, nope all fine. So, this time, I decide not to put the cooler master heatsink and to put back the stock heatsink. Bingo! All the RAM works, and there's more, my fan control is normal.

Conclusion, I should never had used the hyper 212 evo, I think it compress the processor too much or interfere with the motherboard circuits. I wanted to get a really cool temperature to be sure the chip would last longer and may be overclock a bit to test with 46 multiplier instead of 44, but I prefer something that work, and I won't overclock and I'll keep the stock heatsink. But I'd like to hear if you would get an advice, for a heatsink that is easy  to install on socket 1150 and  that is not causing trouble and that is effective.

I will receive my 3/4 pin nf-p12 tomorrow I think. I guess I'll use it to blow throught my hard drive cage since I won't use the 212 evo any more.

Problem solved, yeah! Still, I'D like to hear what do you think that was the real cause, is it compression on the CPU or interference with the motherboard?

Have a great day! :)

Edited by pinson74, 20 October 2014 - 08:36 AM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Some shops get returns, they test them and if OK, resell as new, a good seller like Newegg sells such items as "Open Box".   Very good that you spotted the problem, so you don't have to fight with the shop.

I don't think it is pressure onto the CPU.   I did do some reading and there are reports of the EVO backplate being extremely close to components on some MBs, a few cases of touching, causing problems but not burning out the board..

Don't know how wide you case is so recommending a lower profile cooler, Gets really good reviews. 

http://www.tomshardw...tx,3639-19.html

Web site, > http://www.noctua.at...46&lng=en&set=2

Hight comparability for RAM, > http://www.noctua.at...ts_id=46&lng=en