At least now I know it isn't malware...
Well we haven't found a malware cause. That's not to say there isn't one, just that we haven't seen any.
it's really strange that I cannot even open the MSN outlook mail page.
I wonder whether it's your security programs getting in the way. Have you tried disabling your firewall and anti-virus to see if it works then?
Well thanks but I don't think I want to bother with that at this time...
Here is an automated way of resetting your browsers. It might be worth a try.
Please download zoek.exe and save it to your desktop (Firefox users right click and Save Link As...).
- Close any open browsers.
- Temporarily disable your AntiVirus program. (If necessary)
- Double click zoek.zip
- Double click on zoek.exe to run.
- Please wait while the tool starts. It will appear to be doing nothing and may take a few seconds to come up.
- Copy the text below and paste it into the large window in the zoek tool:
iedefaults; FFDefaults; CHRDefaults; emptyclsid; EmptyAllTemp; AutoClean;
- Click on Run script button
- Please wait patiently (it may take a few minutes) until a log report will open (this may be after reboot, if required)
- Copy (Ctrl +C) and paste (Ctrl +V) the contents of the opened entire report back here.
Note: It will also create a log in the C:\ directory named "zoek-results.log"