Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help! my CPU n memory are being eaten up alive

• Please log in to reply

yogeek

yogeek

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi Guys,

I have a big problem. My CPU and memory is being eaten up by any program I run e.g. Media player or winamp. I didn't have this problem a month ago.

I am not a big surf freak so I stay away from bad websites to not to invite spywares etc though I use emule n bitcomet. But that's all.

I formatted the system once.. which took a long time and the problem is still there. I noticed that an exe called SVCHOST.EXE eats up about 20k of my 512 mb ram even when I am not doing anything at all.. no games..no music..nothing!

Plz help me out guys.. I will also learn something in this process.

My laptop specifications:

Win xp prof
Intel 1.4 ghz CPU
512 RAM
30 GB HDD
Symantec Corporate Edition

Thats all I can think of for now. Let me know if you need to know more.

Thanks in advance.

Yogeek :tazz:

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Get Tuneup trial

http://www.tune-up.com

Run disc clean up, registry clean up then click optimize to run reg defrag, which needs a reboot.

After the reboot run Windows disk defragmenter

This will make sure you do not have obsolete registry entries and the file system is in order