Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

need drivers windows 7 upgrade

• Please log in to reply

jimbo1949

jimbo1949

• PipPip
  • 53 posts

installed windows 7 now device manager saids I need drivers,base system device,ethernet conroller,mulitmedia video controller please help

Edited by jimbo1949, 18 October 2014 - 03:36 PM.

Advertisements

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Hi jimbo1949,

Why did you recently install Windows 7 on this PC ? What was on it before ? List Model and make of PC or laptop.

Usually go to your PC or Laptop manufacturer's web site put in your info, OS, 32BIT OR 64BIT. Look for them there.

Also windows update, set to automatically check for updates. When in device mananger is there a yellow exclamation point next to these devices ? Open them up, right click select properties and in Drivers tab select update driver, select browse my computer or have it search online.

Edited by jds63, 18 October 2014 - 05:50 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

He can't do a Windows Update until the network driver is installed.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

He can't do a Windows Update until the network driver is installed.

Missed that part. Then using explanation to updating in device manager for generic Windows driver in Windows 7, unless this is on a disc OP has.

Edited by jds63, 18 October 2014 - 08:31 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

What is the full model number for the computer? Enter that on the HP support web site: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/drivers.html then download the drivers you need, starting with Network.

Put on a flash drive and take to the computer with the problem to install it.

Once you have internet access you can get the rest of the drivers directly on the machine that needs them.

mikes2014

mikes2014

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Hi there,

You ran into one of the very common mistakes,for you to fix it your going need to somehow get onto another machine and go to the driver manufactures page and download install driver.

Once you have driver download onto usb stick,and then go to control panel on your computer the go to device manger then click down to network drives,right click and ul see update drivers,follow on screen instructions then locate the driver to usb stick you saved it on then you will have your network drivers back.

Hope i helped!

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

Hi there,

You ran into one of the very common mistakes,for you to fix it your going need to somehow get onto another machine and go to the driver manufactures page and download install driver.

Once you have driver download onto usb stick,and then go to control panel on your computer the go to device manger then click down to network drives,right click and ul see update drivers,follow on screen instructions then locate the driver to usb stick you saved it on then you will have your network drivers back.

Hope i helped!

Mike, that is what I told him in my reply just before yours.

mikes2014

mikes2014

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Aye but i taught mine was made easier some people dont know how to boot from cd let alone install drivers.