Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Acer laptop slow to boot and programs "running slow"

• Please log in to reply

dar124

dar124

• PipPip
  • 87 posts

Hello, I just had a post in the "Virus, Spyware, Malware Removal" area http://www.geekstogo...s-running-slow/ and was directed here for further assistance.  So after working with Biscuithd on the other thread, I know the laptop doesn't have any virus's and the temp files, etc have been cleaned up but it still seems to take a long time to boot up / load Windows. I did go thru and stop a handful of programs from running at startup.  I'm sure there's plenty more that could be done to streamline the startup process.

I'd appreciate any assistance with this!!!  Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

One of the easiest ways to reduce bootup time is to replace the hard drive with a SSD . . . especially if the current hard drive is spinning at 5400 RPM or slower. I've seen close to 4 minute bootup times drop to ~45 seconds. My i7 goes from off to on the 'net in 21 seconds.

dar124

dar124

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

I agree a SSD would speed things up.  This is a friend's laptop, so I'll run buying and installing a SSD by him.

Any suggestions for stopping other programs at startup or for speeding the startup with the current HD??

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Click the Start orb, type in msconfig and press [Enter], click the Startup tab and then deselect everything except what the user considers necessary for them to run the computer. Don't disable the anti-malware (malicious software) of course. When done, reboot and see if there is any improvement.

Edited by SpywareDr, 19 October 2014 - 04:09 PM.