Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

laptop keeps cutting out

• Please log in to reply

mrpooh3

mrpooh3

• PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

hi,my laptop has recently started cutting out on its own when I run it only on the battery even though the battery is showing that it is practically full.

It will work for ten minutes and then just cut out on me whereas if I keep it plugged in to the mains it never does this.

what could be causing this?

could it be a failing battery?

Any help appreciated.

my laptop is a dell latitude i5-2520m.

Edited by mrpooh3, 20 October 2014 - 02:45 PM.

Advertisements

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

mrpooh3,

Does sound like could still be a bad battery, bad cells in battery, could be causing voltage problems. How old is battery, ever replaced, if so where did you buy it, from manufacturer or generic ?

Check power settings in control panel. Anything else happening when this occurs, laptop very warm, fan speeds up ?

Edited by jds63, 20 October 2014 - 06:35 PM.

mrpooh3

mrpooh3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

hi jds63,

I replaced the battery last year,its a generic one that I got from e-bay (doesn't say dell anywhere on it)

My laptop has been getting very warm lately...I'm going to check the fan.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

There is pretty much your problem, do not buy a battery this way. Get one from HP or make sure it is a reputable manufacturer you get it from, not ebay possible aftermarket.

Meaning buy brand it originally had, can't skimp on this kind of stuff. Example did this with a phone battery and it never worked same as original brand, died fast.

Also concerned about any overheating could possibly cause this too..

Edited by jds63, 20 October 2014 - 07:35 PM.

mrpooh3

mrpooh3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

hi,I think it is the battery....I remember I couldn't find a genuine dell one and so purchased a generic(which actually cost the same price as a dell one).

I found an original dell one on e-bay this time and so will replace the battery as soon as I can afford to.

cheers mate!

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

mrpooh3,

Would try to stay away from ebay for this kind of merchandise, i know you may be trying to save money sometimes they might not be authentic, could be refurbished,aftermarket product not by manufacturer either, not OEM.

Try other online companies with a good reputation, if payed same price would of through Dell then should just go to them. Make sure have correct part number from an original battery.

Let us know how it works out by posting back results,ty Your welcome.

Edited by jds63, 21 October 2014 - 02:19 PM.