Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Want to Buy a Gaming Laptop ... As Inexpensive As Possible (Resolved)

• Please log in to reply

moondog830

moondog830

• PipPipPip
  • 804 posts

I'm wanting to buy a 17.3" laptop that will allow me to run World of Tanks as well as Adobe CS6. I would also like a graphics card BETTER THAN the 'onboard' Intel card on my current laptop. Everytime I look at the specs etc ... on any website, my head starts spinning. I have to try to stay as close to $600 as possible ... but that's not set in stone ... it only means that if I can't, I'll have to wait longer. I do not want a touchscreen.

I currently have a Hewlett-Packard Pavillion G7 17.3" laptop that will run Adobe, and runs World of Tanks but doesn't meet the minimum requirements for it.

thanks in advance for the help 

dog

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Hello moondog830,

Being realistic you are looking at $800+ for a new notebook anywhere near mid/high level gaming, couple to look at, one new here one refurbished here.(the touchscreen can be disabled btw so don`t let it put you off) but closer to your present budget the Dell Silver 17.3" Inspiron 17 5748 from Walmart here I have made sure that they each have 8GB of Ram as that is still the most cost affective way of improving overall performance + I don`t like computers that are sold with only 4 or 6GB but have a 64-bit OS  :tazz:

moondog830

moondog830

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 804 posts

thanks for the advice ... do you have a specific preference? most people tell me not to buy dell if I can avoid it. just wondering

also, if this one is comparable to the ones you listed. (don't know the difference in processors)

http://www.walmart.c...4028392&veh=sem

dog

Edited by moondog830, 05 November 2014 - 01:01 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

The i5 is a better CPU but the cost of the Toshiba for the spec makes it a very good choice  :thumbsup:

I have used Sony notebooks for a long time so here is some unbiased information below;

PC Advisor: Most reliable laptop brands: the results 2013;

Apple tops the list, as might be expected from such a premium PC builder. Apple products are far from cheap, but they do offer a quality experience. Runner up Dell has a very different business model. It, like other high-ranking brands HP and Asus, operates as a volume laptop maker, selling many thousands of laptops every week. We would expect to see them, and Lenovo, high up in our list because they sell so many PCs: but their higher ranking suggests a lot of satisfied customers.

Apple: 19%
Dell: 12%
Asus: 11%
HP: 11%
Acer: 9%
Lenovo: 9%
Toshiba: 9%
Samsung: 7%
Sony: 6%
Alienware: 3%
Fujitsu: 1%
MSI: 1%
Panasonic: 1%

Note how far down that Dells prestige brand Alienware is, that will be more to do with cost per performance ratio me thinks.

Best & Worst Laptop Brands 2014 ( A Toms Guide) here

moondog830

moondog830

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 804 posts

I thank you for all your help ... I finally settled on this one ... http://www.newegg.co...CFSFgMgodohIAhQ

a little above the price I was hoping for, yet getting plenty of bang for my buck ... thanks a lot!

you may close this now :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Glad you got one sorted and thank you for the follow up  :thumbsup: