Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Access Denied to One Computer on LAN

• Please log in to reply

DGP

DGP

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi - I have a home network comprising 4 PCs connected using a Netgear router all running XP Home. All have network file sharing enabled. PC 4 can access the shared folders on PCs 1, 2 and 3, but PCs 1, 2 and 3 cannot access the shared folders on PC 4.

PCs 1, 2 and 3 can all see PC 4 but when I double click on the icon in Network Places Workgroup I get the message 'PC 4 is not accessible. You might not have permission..................................... Access is denied.'

I've disabled PC4's Windows Firewall and the Avast Anti-Virus, but this makes no difference. I can't see any obvious running processes that might cause the problem they all seem pretty standard.

I'm not aware of any changes that I've made to the set-up that might cause the problem, but its my daughter's PC so she may have done something without realising it.

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks - Dave

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
make sure that all usernames on the network are local users on the machine in question. if you want to be able to do anything of importance on said machine i would make them power users.