Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Seeking advice on what to add to gaming desktop

gaming desktop hdd ram gpu

• Please log in to reply

Warrior328

Warrior328

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Hello everyone. New to the forum and I'm seeking advice on what I should upgrade on my current Acer Aspire x1420g-u5832 desktop.  First and foremost, here are it's current specs: 

Processor- AMD Athlon II x4 645 3.1 Ghz

Ram- 4GB 

Hard Drive- HDD 1T/5400rpm/Sata 3gb/s

Graphics Card- XFX Radeon HD 6670 2GB GDDR3

OS- Windows 7 64 bit

I've had this PC since 2012 and it's stock graphics card was horrible. Recently, I became interested in playing PC games so I upgraded the stock NVIDIA GeForce 6150 SE to a XFX Radeon HD 6670. Before purchasing I saw that the recommended power supply is 400W. My PC's power supply is 220W and was assured that I could still purchase it by reviewers online who said they run the card on a 220w PSU with no problems. When I got the card, I tried playing a few games I downloaded: Fallout 3, NBA 2k15, Minecraft, RE4. NBA 2k15 and RE4 both gave me audio and video issues - even when I play the game on the lowest settings possible. Minecraft and Fallout 3 I can play, but I sort of expect a smoother quality to the graphics considering the fact that I've seen many videos on youtube of people with the same card playing Battlefield 4 and other graphically-demanding games. 

So I've come to the conclusion that I have to change something about the current rig I have. Can it be that the power supply isn't providing the sufficient power to the Radeon HD 6670? I'd appreciate any type of input may have for me. Thank you. 

Edited by Warrior328, 03 November 2014 - 08:51 AM.

Advertisements

Alan1998

Alan1998

• PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Your card is not getting enough power. You have half of the recommend wattage! Can you post the specs of your power supply (Brand/Model).

Warrior328

Warrior328

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Yeah, I was thinking the same. I actually didn't take that into consideration because I read that the Graphics Card gets all it's power from the PCI slot itself. My power supply is a chicony cpb09-d220r

Alan1998

Alan1998

• PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

I'm curious. I'm seeing people saying it only draws 60 watts. I am 99% sure it's your PSU though. Honestly, from the build I've seen around here, the PSU has at least an extra 100+ watts. Let me see what Phil or iammykyl thinks. They're better at this then I am :).

Warrior328

Warrior328

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

I'm thinking of just upgrading the power supply then. From what I've seen online it's kinda hard to find a power supply that fits in my computer since it's small form factor. I was thinking of just getting a psu of at least 400w and a new case. You think I can get both of those without spending more than 100 dollars? 

Edited by Warrior328, 03 November 2014 - 10:48 AM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

FYI.   When a GPU says, 450 watt min, 18 Amps on the 12V rail. that is the total wattage for the whole of a typical computer.  It is always over stated to ensure the GPU will work without issues.

the Radeon HD 6670 does draw power from the PCI-E slot.   The  PSU, > http://www.findlapto...y-upnd220r001l/ will fire up the GPU but, may cause damage if you run it for any length of time.

Reason.   The card requires 65 watts, the CPU requires 95 watts, Hard drive 5 watts, case fan 5 watts.

Total 170W x = 14.16 Amps on the 12 volt rail.

The PSU, has 14 Amps on the 12 volt rail, and given the ageing factor of the unit, it will probable deliver less.

I sounds like you have a eMachine or Acer slim PC.   Can you give us the brand/model please.   The MB may be a "Special" used by OEM builders, so need to check if a standard PSU will be OK, it may have some odd connectors.

we can then look  for a case and PSU. 

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Just reviewed you topic, sorry I missed giving you some case and PSU suggestions.

Any case of PSU combination will be good for you.

http://www.newegg.co...438-014:$$$$$$$