Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

changing to ssd (Solved)

• Please log in to reply

KostasPAP

KostasPAP

• PipPip
  • 60 posts

Hi i am going to get an ssd and installing there the OS and some programs i want,currently the os is in the hdd.I have a question which is simple but i want to be 100% sure.How can i make sure windows 7 serial key dont stay on hdd?Do i do a simple format install on ssd and then the serial key goes to ssd or it stays to hdd?

Advertisements

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Hi, the simplest way to transfer from an ordinary HDD, to an SSD is to clone the system On the HDD, and onto the SSD. Providing that the SSD is to be connected into the original computer where the HDD is to be eventually removed from there are no worries about the product key. Once the system has been cloned onto the SSD and then the SSD fitted in place of the HDD, the computer will run up and boot with no problem. I have recently done this myself.

The things you need is a program to create the clone with, which most here will recommend Macrium Reflect free, the second thing is a means of connecting the SSD to the computer so the clone can be installed on it, I used a docking station to USB connection, however if there is a spare SATA connection on the motherboard it can be connected directly with a couple of SATA leads, if no spare, you will need either a USB to SATA adapter, or an enclosure to USB if you don't have access to a docking station.

One thing to be aware of is, that the new SSD will need to be formatted first, you do that via the disk management on the computer once you have connected it.

Also as far as I know SSD drives are only available as the 2.5 inch or laptop size, so if fitting to a desktop, adapter brackets will be required to fix it in place.

Any further questions don't hesitate to ask.

Nev.

strollin

strollin

• Pip
  • 8 posts

A bit more info regarding cloning the hdd to the ssd.  Oftentimes the ssd is smaller than the hdd that is being cloned, if this is true, you may need to repartition the hdd into several partitions and move data from one partition to another in order to reduce the size of the partition being cloned to fit onto the ssd. 

There is no need to format the ssd prior to the cloning operation, since cloning makes an exact image of the disk at the bit level, formatting is irrelevant.

KostasPAP

KostasPAP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Thanks for you answers but If i clone the system as i understood i am going to keep all the files and i don't want to keep them i want a fresh clean install,I am sorry i didn't make that clear in the first post

An idea that came to my mind is to plug in the ssd,start my pc normaly then erase everything in hdd and then use windows cd to do an install,I've heard there is an option when you have more than one hdd that allow you to completely erase a hdd don't know if thats true though...If that's not true i thought that after i pluged in my ssd and the system recognized it i put in the windows cd then delete all files and choose to install in ssd..\

I am not sure if my ideas work so please let me know if they are correct or if you have a better idea

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Hi, if wanting a completely fresh start, which Windows disks do you have?

If it is a either a disk that came with the computer, or disk or disks you made yourself when the computer was new, then you should be able to just install the SSD, make sure the BIOS is set to boot from the DVD/CD drive and then put in the disk or disks in the correct order. Once installed and if it does then ask for the product key number, which should be on the label on the case, you just type it in and follow instructions for activation.

Do you know what the product key number is already, if yes, then all should be OK. (Please don't post it on forum, just let us know)

If no, there are a few programs that can find that key number in the present system for you, Magical Jelly Bean being one of them.

Nev.

KostasPAP

KostasPAP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

I have windows 7,The disk is bought seperately from pc..

Last question, you dont mention anywhere about the files in hdd being deleted so the product key when i install it in ssd it will say it is used or not?

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Hi, the product key is only relevant to the computer itself and not the hard drive, regardless of the type of hard drive installed.

So an install of windows 7 to a new solid state drive, and providing it is exactly the same version as the one on the ordinary hard drive, then the product key already on the existing label is all you need.

However, if this new disk you bought is a different version, for example Windows 7 Professional, whereas the original was Windows 7 Home Premium, then a product key which should be with the new disk will have to be used.

To explain a little, when the original Windows 7 was installed, it takes note of all the rest of the hardware fitted and serial numbers of it, the details of that are then sent to Microsoft during the activation period when the original product key was also used.

That means that a new hard drive fitted with the original operating system, or a new operating system of the same version, will once again see all the same hardware, that will then cross check with the Microsoft data base and then be passed as OK when the product key is typed in.

So, the original hard drive, even though it has the same operating system installed on it, will be of no use in a different computer, only the one it was first set up for, you could in fact alternate between the two on that same computer and not have any problems as it is tied to that computer on both the new and the old hard drives.

Hope that sets your mind at rest.

Nev.

Edited by Plastic Nev, 10 November 2014 - 11:52 AM.

KostasPAP

KostasPAP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

i understood completely thank you for your time

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Once you do get the new SSD, and install it, please let us know how you go on with it, or if any problems found with installing the operating system.

Nev.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

To ensure you don't get stuck half way through your upgrade, please answer all the question. 

What is the version of the Windows disk, i.e.. Windows 7 Home Premium, 32 or 64 bit?

Do you have the MB driver/utilities disk that came in the MB box?

What is the brand/model of the SSD?

Is the computer a Desk top/laptop?   A branded one like a Dell/HP?   If a Custom build, please list the hardware.

Do you have any Data on the HDD you want to keep, like photos or financial records?

Here is a pretty good clean install tutorial, let us know if you have any questions about the instructions.

http://www.sevenforu...indows-7-a.html

Advertisements

KostasPAP

KostasPAP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

I took the ssd yesterday night and i made it work,But my pc don;t see the other hdd i made sure the cables are all good but nothing could it be that the cable is from another pc?Its orange and the previous cable which i used to connect ssd is red dont know if it makes any difference just saying

Edited by KostasPAP, 11 November 2014 - 12:07 AM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Please try this.

Turn off the PSU, take anti static measures by touching a metal part inside the computer case. 

Disconnect the SATA signal cable to the SSD and connect it to the HDD.   Do not connect a cable to the SSD

Turn on the PSU and start the computer, does it boot to the desktop?

For us to be able to help ou, please answer all the questions in reply #10, so we know what type of computer you have.  

KostasPAP

KostasPAP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Sorry for that totally missed this post

Its windows home premium x64

Yes its the only cd i use for install its for motherboard and cpu the other drivers i let windows 7 get them and then update them

That's the ssd 

CORSAIR CSSD-F240GBLS FORCE LS SERIES 240GB SSD SATA3

Its a custom

intel core i5 2500k

asus p8h67-m pro

nvidia gtx750

6 gb ram

I dont want to keep anything from it i want to erase everything and keep it as a place for keeping videos,saving game setup,music etc

I did what you said and the pc didn't start and it was asking for a boot device and i dont hear it spinning anymore does that mean the hdd died?

Edited by KostasPAP, 11 November 2014 - 10:30 AM.

KostasPAP

KostasPAP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

as for what i said for the cable i got from a friend a cable only for ssd so the hdd is connected to the same cables as before

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

:thumbsup:  Thanks for the info.

a cable only for ssd so the hdd is connected to the same cables as before

As far as I know, there is no "Special" SATA cable required for a SSD. > http://www.maximumpc...pc_investigates

So connect the "special" cable to the HDD, make sure the SSD is disconnected.

Restart the computer and enter the BIOS.

> On the top menu, > click Boot.

< under Boot Options Priority or Boot Override,.

Is the HDD listed?