Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

academic install & repair install or XP lite

repair install

• Please log in to reply

Mac29

Mac29

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Basically want to verify a retail XP install disc does not ask for a key when doing a repair install.

I have an academic install disc I've installed XP on 3 different systems and all have run for years w/o issue. Truth. First box got fried in a power surge, called MS and ... don't remember the ins and outs of key but installed on another box. That died. 3rd install is on a drive I use in current system utilizing a hard drive tray for easy multi-OS. Have run it for 2-3 years.

Now getting an old Dell laptop and will want to try a repair install. All the sites I've checked make no mention of having to input a key. Learned from your forums I can't mix keys and oem/retail discs for full install.

Q1: Would someone pl verify no key is involved when doing a repair install?

Q2: Some sites believe The Magical Jellybean appl is clean/legit for finding Windows keys/etc. if need be. Any thoughts?

Lastly, any feedback re: trying one of those 'light' installs like 'XP lite'? This may be the way to go for this old lappy, but some sites say download the (XP lite) program and others say use your XP install disc. I'm wondering more about others experience using 'XP lite', I'll figure out how to install, but

I need to use this laptop for Visual Studio Express or Developer.

Thank you,

Mac

Advertisements

techmantrey1

techmantrey1

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

1)When doing a repair install or Sysprep on XP it does require the Key to be reentered.

2) Get key beforehand with jellybean or start in safe mode with command prompt and start jellybean from there.

3) Never heard of XP lite sorry :) XP embedded however we can talk lol

Hopefully that helps :)

Edited by techmantrey1, 21 November 2014 - 07:46 PM.