Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What did I do wrong?

• Please log in to reply

pamida

pamida

• Pip
  • 3 posts
My hard drive died so I had to buy a new one I had a Hitachi deskstar hard drive I looked online for the jumper settings so I could figure out how to set the jumper on the new hard drive. The Hitachi had 2 jumpers on it set at cable select according to the diagram of the hard drive on their site
I bought a maxtor Ultra series and it only has one jumper with it. I called for tech help but was more confused after calling them then if I had just tried to figure it out for myself. I looked in the booklet that came with the hard drive and set the one jumper for cable select.
I had no problems with installing my software and was so happy I actually put in the hard drive with no problems. Then I went to get online and my DSL won't work. I spent an hour with verizon tech support and they could not help me.
Could I possibly have the jumper set wrong? I know nothing about computers so don't know if the hard drive will work if the jumper is not in the correct place. I wonder if because I only have one jumper and the other hard drive had two if that is causing a problem. Was I suppose to set the jumper at master?
Anyone know if there is any hope for me fixing this? I really can't afford to take the computer to the shop but will have to if I can't figure this out.
Thanks for any advice/help
Pamm

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
What software have you installed for the modem

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
HI
You want to set your main hard drive to master and the second one to slave
:tazz:

pamida

pamida

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I called tech support at maxtor and was told to just install the software that came with my computer and that I did not need to use the disk that came with the hard drive was I suppose to use that disk? If so is there anyway to use it and then reinstall the software that came with my computer? Unforunatly I have an emachine with windows xp and it has 3 system disks and that is what I used

I only have one hard drive in the computer the one I replaced died so it was no good. I set the jumper to master but still can't get online I have no idea what could have happend it worked fine until I put in the hard drive of course the tech support at verizon was not the best so hard telling maybe I will have to buy a new computer when I checked the ehternet and the modem both show they are working fine so I can't understand why I can't use my DSL now unless it is something with verizon the tech I spoke with told me I could not get online because the new hard drives numbers were different from my old hard drive and were not recognized when I tried to connect. Funny this computer works just fine and it is not the one I used when I signed up for dsl go figure *lol*
I am just stumped on this problem maybe there is no hope or maybe it is something so simple that I can't figure it out. Thanks so much for your help it is appricated.
Pamm

Edited by pamida, 11 June 2005 - 03:34 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you right click the connection to use the repair option

Did the ISP give you the IP address details

pamida

pamida

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I did try the repair and it did not work Verizon had me go to run and type in some stuff and some address came up but they never told me exactly what address I need. They were not very helpful he told me to unplug my modem for one hour then plug it in and reboot my computer and it should work it did not so when I called back the man I spoke to that time would not put me through to the higher tech support section
Pamm