Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Google Chrome Portable will not launch

• Please log in to reply

SallyMae

SallyMae

• PipPip
  • 88 posts

I have a 15 year old computer running xp that my grandmother has been using.  I can't replace it for another few months when a probate ends for an inheritance I will get.  In the mean time part of one of the memory chips has gone bad so it has 384 instead of 512.  Because of this I can't get regular Google Chrome to run right or install anymore.  I got Google Chrome Portable and it did install but now when I try to bring up Chrome I get "google chrome has encountered a problem and needs to close".  When asked what path to install Chrome Portable to I chose the desktop.  Just to make sure the program worked I installed it to the same place on my own Windows 8 laptop and it works fine.  Considering the circumstances is there anything I can do to rig this scaled down Chrome browser to run on this old computer?  Older versions of Chrome will no longer work and I have a hard time getting IE to work either since the newer versions are no longer supported.  Any suggestions to overcome this problem with Chrome Portable?

Thanks.

Advertisements

SallyMae

SallyMae

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

OK.  New question.  Would anyone happen to know where Google Chrome PORTABLE stores it's error or debug logs?

robherr

robherr

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Portable softwares is good but it creates more bugs than ever before. Just download Chrome and update it whenever necessary.