Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows does not recognized my 1 TB external hard drive. (Resolved)

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Thanks Nev  :thumbsup:

Advertisements

trips487

trips487

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Thanks for the help. Ill give this a try and see what happens. Lastly, when i made the  E drive from the storage spaces I was only able to use 929 GB out of the 1k. Did I do something wrong? or is there a way to allow me to use the full 1000 from the 1 TB? Thank you. 

trips487

trips487

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Hello? Can I have an answer to my last question please. I would like to use my full 1000 GB but was able to only use 929 GB. Did I do something wrong when I added more storage or is it not possible for me to do so? Thank you. Hope to receive a reply soon. 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

You have done nothing wrong and the amount of storage space reported is normal  :thumbsup:

Yours is an often asked question which unfortunately has a rather complicated answer that will most likely make you feel that you have been short changed, this because although the HDD is advertised as being 1TB it cannot actually store 1TB of data on it, below is the complicated answer that I copy/paste as and when the question comes up, of particular note is what I have highlighted in red;

The amount of memory (measured in gigabytes or terabytes) that can be stored in a disc drive. Usually given as formatted capacity. One gigabyte, or GB, equals one billion bytes and one terabyte, or TB, equals one thousand billion bytes. Your computer's operating system may use a different standard of measurement and report a lower capacity, in addition, some of the listed capacity is used for formatting and other functions and will not be available for data storage.

If you think that the above is complicated below is how Western Digital explain it;

As used for storage capacity, one megabyte (MB) = one million bytes, one gigabyte (GB) = one billion bytes, and one terabyte (TB) = one trillion bytes. Total accessible capacity varies depending on operating environment. As used for buffer or cache, one megabyte (MB) = 1,048,576 bytes. As used for transfer rate or interface, megabyte per second (MB/s) = one million bytes per second, megabit per second (Mb/s) = one million bits per second, and gigabit per second (Gb/s) = one billion bits per second.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

trips487

Not heard from you for a while, can you let us know if you still require assistance with this or do you consider the matter resolved.

trips487

trips487

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

I apologize. I've been busy this week. The matter is resolved as of right now. If any other problems persist ill make a new topic. Thanks again for the help.  Will this topic still be here even if it's locked? Just so i know i can look back here to retrieve the information posted. Or will it be deleted and I should just make a copy of the notes here? Thank you. 

Edited by trips487, 14 December 2014 - 11:22 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

No worries, glad to hear that all is well and thanks for the follow up  :thumbsup:

NB: Tech topics are not closed or deleted unless it is for a specific reason, they are left open should you ever need to return to them and we only ask that you conclude them so that they can be marked as either resolved or solved, this is helpful to people when using Google to search for the same or similar type computer issue/s + concluding your topic is also a sign of good manners  :D