Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Re install

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

Which one is your computer, the one here or the one here

Disregard from where the two computers can be purchased and only look at and tell us which one of the two computers looks the same as yours.

Advertisements

mowpar

mowpar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
I am pretty sure it is the second one, displayed by Staples

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

That model shipped with a DVD+/-RW Drive and Windows 8.

Which of the two attachments below is your computer, this is important btw as we need to know what options you have when it comes to installing an OS and the Dell drivers.

mowpar

mowpar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
The top model looks just like my tower. In trying to run restore points or image recovery, I come with information that I don't understand. First check it says no factory image found, next check or I should say attempt at restore point recovery, it says windows, can't find a system image on this computer.

I don't know if any of this is significant or not just thought it might be of use

Edited by mowpar, 26 November 2014 - 10:18 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

The top model looks just like my tower.

I see one model to the left and the other model to the right but not one to the top  :headscratch:

Is yours the one where I highlighted the power button below the Dell logo.

Have you had this computer from out of the box new.

mowpar

mowpar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
I am using my I pad since computer is down, I have a top pic and bottom pic, I guess because of screen room. My computer is the one with the Dell logo more to the center of the tower not near the bottom.

I bought this new from Staples.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
That explains it  :thumbsup:

The computer that you have is indeed the Dell 660 but what is confusing is that Staples and various other sites including Dell state that it shipped with Windows 8, has your computer had Windows 8 on it and been downgraded to Windows 7, Dell specs here

SPECIFICATIONS

Desktop Processor Intel i5
Speed Desktop Processor Speed 3.2 GHz
Desktop CPU Cache 6MB
RAM Desktop Memory (GB) 8
T Desktop Memory Type DDR3 1600
Desktop Hard Drive Size Details 1TB
Desktop Hard Drive Size (GB) 1000sp
Desktop Hard Drive Speed 7200RPM
Desktop Hard Drive Type SATA
Desktop Optical Drive DVD+/-RW Tray Load Drive, 16X, SATA
Desktop Network Card Dell DW1506 (802.11 b/g/n) WLAN half mini-Card
Desktop LAN Data Transfer Rate 10/100/1000 Ethernet
Desktop Operating System Windows 8
Desktop USB Ports 2 x USB 3.0, 6 x USB 2.0
Desktop Other Ports 1 x HDMI, 1 x VGA, 3 stack audio jacks, mic, headphone
Desktop Special Feature

mowpar

mowpar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
I am picking up what you are putting down, but it has had windows 7 home premium on it form the store. I would not have purchased it, if it were a windows 8, but with all the problems I have been having, I wish I did have. 8

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

Well not sure how it came about but no matter as long as you are sure that it is Windows 7, the version that it is as in 32 or 64-bit Home Premium and that you have your product key for it.

Do you have access to another computer that you can use to download a Windows 7 ISO to a 4GB or above thumb drive, it would also be helpful if you have an additional thumb drive that you could download the Dell drivers to, these must be installed in a certain order so as to avoid issues, I will provide this information when appropriate.

mowpar

mowpar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
I have from Dell a thumb drive with the windows 7 home premium, OS.
And I have a disk from initial purchase, labeled Drivers and Utilities. Are these items the same as what I needed to down load?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

Couple more questions before we move on.

What was the virus that you referred to in your reply #10

Are you wanting to do a fresh installation of Windows 7.

You have mentioned more than once not being able to get to the "home page" to what is it that you refer,an example of a home page is something like the yahoo home page

mowpar

mowpar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
I mentioned a virus, but am not sure that is what it is. Last time the computer was working, I went to down load updates from windows. After starting the process I push button to stop the updates. I then tried to load Malwarebytes premium, some how I lost the entry codes, I then shut computer down, to await Malwarebytes to email codes to install the program.

Turned computer on seems to start ok then banner goes across the screen showing the updates for the computer, I guess these were the updates that went through before I pushed the button to stop updating.

These updates run across the screen then come to a complete stop, they freeze on the screen in the banner style, then computer shuts down restarts and repeats the cycle. No safe mode option changes this scenario.
I cannot get to a place where I can access the Internet.

Because of this I thought I had a virus, I have been told by Dell, that more likely it is a corrupted file. But I personally don't know anything.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

I am not a malware expert and such matters are not discussed outside of those forums but I feel that Dell are correct, you have interrupted an important Windows update being installed and this has resulted in the OS being damaged. 

I cannot get to a place where I can access the Internet. 

I am not being pedantic but does this mean that you are able to start Windows as in;

Turned computer on seems to start ok then banner goes across the screen showing the updates for the computer, I guess these were the updates that went through before I pushed the button to stop updating.

Is this still what happens.

Are you wanting to do a fresh installation of Windows 7.

Is this a yes or a no.

mowpar

mowpar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
I just want to be able to access the Internet, if doing a fresh installation of windows 7 will accomplish that, then that is what I would like to do.

I have told you how my computer is acting, I cannot use the computer what so ever. It does not boot up.
Simply comes on and says that windows is starting but never does. Just shows the banner updating stops and restarts to the same thing all over again.

I would like to do new install.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
I cannot use the computer what so ever. It does not boot up.

This is what you should have said from the outset and not mentioned homepages or internet connection  ;) 

The information that you have been providing has confused matters I`m afraid, you have mentioned not being able to load home pages which requires an internet connection, this suggests that you are able to boot into Windows + you have also said "I cannot get to a place where I can access the Internet" this also implies that you are having an internet connection issue, updates failing to install does not always prevent a computer from booting into Windows, as I said earlier I am not being pedantic, I am trying to be precise and the problem here is that Windows is corrupt and so will not boot up, no internet connection does not come into the equation at the moment as you obviously need a computer that will boot into Windows first.

Moving on then, with the computer shut down please disconnect any USB devices other than the mouse and keyboard, restart the computer and press F2 when the Dell logo appears, press every few seconds until the message Entering Setup appears, if you are able to access Setup, navigate the area until you find the boot sequence, ensure that the boot sequence is set to USB device as the first boot device and the HDD the second device, when done be sure to save the settings then exit.

Post back with an update when you have checked out the above.