Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Re install

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

mowpar

Your situation here is totally different than us helping you with bypassing BIOS/security passwords, we are aware of what has brought you to this point and rest assured that we would not have offered assistance if there was any doubt about the ownership of the computer or OS.

Have you tried leaving the user name and password fields blank, if you have done a completely fresh installation you should be asked to create a new user name and password not to enter previously used information, this would suggest a repair to a presently installed OS, odd but not unbelievable with a Dell computer I`m afraid.

Can you tell us what steps you followed when installing Windows 7, did you fully NTFS format the HDD for example, were you asked where you wanted to install Windows 7, this to see if there are other partitions on the HDD.

Do you have the 25 digit product key for Windows, there should be a sticker on the case either on the side or the rear like the in the attachment below, we do not need the COA information if there is only confirmation that it is there.

If you do have your product key I suggest a full and clean install of Windows 7 using a downloaded ISO which we will help you with if appropriate.

Advertisements

mowpar

mowpar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
After failing at all password cracker, you tube help, and Google help searches, I did after trial and error on my own, find the way around it, in safe mode, if you remember before your help I could not access safe mode.

I went in to the control panel, in safe mode, added a new user account with administrative capabilities, added password information, booted in normal mode, and success. You may not post this.

One thing that seemed to be messed up on this computer, or just a typical fluke. I found a section that I thought stupid where it simply said keep trying to enter passwords that you may have used, but maybe not be so stupid. Many times in this endeavor, I would enter letters and numbers, it seemed to work, the welcome screen would show up with the spinning wheel, and a very happy moment ended when it reverted back to password was wrong after all. Is this a computer malfunction, or just some some weird thing? The password used to send it to the welcome screen, did not have the same results the very next time, and other attempts would do it too. Just weird.

On a different note, again I extend my thanks to you guys and this forum, for you help in bringing my computer home. I now need to re-install everything back to normal.

See ya later

mowpar

mowpar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
I recently fixed my computer through the malware team here. When I finally found away around a forgotten password, the screen booted up. The thing is, the only thing on the screen was the recycle bin. Nothing else. Went to look at programs and it looks like a bare bones as you can get, certainly not cluttered up.

My question is, is this typical after a re boot from a thumb drive with the operating system on it?
If it's not normal what am I missing and how do I get it back. Seems like all the goodies it came with when it was new are no longer there.

Please help if you can, Thanks

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

There was no need to start a new thread so I have merged the two to save going backwards and forwards which could lead to possible confusion.

So Windows 7 is now reinstalled and fully updated?

If yes, it is most important that you now install the Dell drivers specific to your computer and in the recommended order, if you do not do this you will have stability issues, Dell driver order here this link can be a pain in the proverbial and may need to be tried a few time before the page opens (another Dell quirk :(

Once everything is installed as it should be and you are happy with how things are I suggest that you create a back up image of your HDD using Macrium Reflect (free) which you can download from here this will ensure that if you ever need to reinstall again Windows 7 and all Dell drivers are on the same disk + you will not have a mountain of updates to download and install.

mowpar

mowpar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
When I went through the set up screens I saw a screen that mentioned something about drivers and such. It did not tell me what exactly to do, but seemed to mention what you have told me.

Knowing I had the drivers an the utilities disc from purchase of pc, I at that time put the disc in. It seemed to run, but I was not prompted to do, anything as I expected I would be. Maybe after putting in the disk I should have went to control panel or computer, and looked for it. I don't know nothing seems to come with instructions anymore. I do not have all this computer savvy stuff hard wired in to my head, as it seems everyone does. Where was I when everyone was whisked off to computer college. And when are they going to do this again?

I am talking of this after having installed anti-virus and deep freeze, to the computer. If I am to download what you have mentioned should I take these installsg off first?

One more thing before I sign off, and this will probably be pretty stupid so be prepared. When taking about a back up disc.
I was directed to make a back up disc during set up and I have it on a flash drive, I hope, pc said I was successful.
Now, if after I get the drivers and utilities, installed properly. And then I get the computer set up again the way I want it, I.e. Anti virus, Malwarebytes, temp file cleaner, printer, set up users for me and her, adjust search engines, to the what I want, etc. can I then save this complete set up to a flash drive?
I know I can place a restore point, not really sure how, but the last time my computer went down, the computer would not restore to a restore point, because of whatever went wrong. So is it possible to do this? And is there media out there that you can direct me to that will explain I?

As always thanks, and sorry if I did not respond properly to some, or missed questions.

Needed add this, I forgot to tell you why I started a new thread. I thought when I started this thread, I was posting in the malware forum section. So after malware or virus problem was addressed, my next question not being as such, not dealing with malware, I posted to Windows 7 general forum section.

Plus other thread was getting to long. I wanted to possibly divert attention away from just how much I don't know.

Edited by mowpar, 29 November 2014 - 10:36 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Can I ask what AV and which Deep Freeze software you have installed.

Any back up media be it on disk or USB device should be created only once the system has been fully updated and all drivers, AV and other software has been reinstalled, that is why I suggested Macrium Reflect as it will allow you to create an exact image of what is on the HDD.

How long the thread is does not matter as long as it concerns the same issue and hopefully you feel that you have learned things along the way here.

How to manually reinstall Windows 7 on a Dell computer?

mowpar

mowpar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
I have at present ad,,,aware,,,,,and faronics, deep freeze,

Also am preparing to take advantage of a recent good deal buy from Malwarebytes, sent to me by mail.
This computer has got me afraid to even use it lately. Since hard drive install I have had two crashes and maybe only used computer twice , second time was just to put on Malwarebytes , and computer shut down at that time.
Macrium you mentioned completely slipped my mind. I will go there and have a look.

Edited by mowpar, 29 November 2014 - 11:37 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Ad-Aware  :no: Avast or MSE + MBAM all three are available for free, from my sig Free Antivirus and Antispyware Software

I know that Faronics provide Deep Freeze but which one do you have, the trial or the paid for version.

The computer will be unstable until you have installed the Dell drivers, a very good explanation about installing MB drivers here I am not suggesting that you download Driver Pro btw and the link is for information purposes only.

mowpar

mowpar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
I know there are free versions I just thought the paid for version would be a whole lot better. As I told you I am afraid to use my computer, and am wanting the extra protection, especially I think a fire wall is something good to have.

You don't acknowledge anything about my having the disc for the utilities and drivers, provided with the computer purchase.
The link about mb drivers you provided I am going investigate, but are you telling me that I need drivers other than the utility and driver disc I have, or do I not bother with this disc and solely use the driver down loads on the site you suggested.

I have entered the utility and driver disc into the tray of computer, I do not know what happened when I did this. Did it load automatically? Because I was not directed to do anything after its insertion, or did putting in the disc have no effect or use. Again there seems to be no manual for things like this that I can find.

The deep freeze I have is on a disc, it was from my wife's classroom when she use to teach, computer literacy. I do not know what version it is, I am just like a woman with computers, usually all I can do is put the gas in.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Well it is up to you if you do not wish to use the free version of anything, it is all that I have ever used and never had a malware infection yet, everything you need is detailed at the admin tutorial that I provided the link to, this includes Firewall information btw.

You don't acknowledge anything about my having the disc for the utilities and drivers, provided with the computer purchase.

Not sure what you want me to say, everything that you need should have been on the thumb drive provided by Dell, check the Device Manager for any yellow ! or red Xs and let us know what you find. 

Advertisements

mowpar

mowpar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
I have a drivers and utility disc. I thought that this was an integral step in putting my computer back to the way it was.
But I believe you are saying that info on this utility and driver disc is already on the thumb drive with OS on it. If this is the case than I did not know it. Thanks for the link I am still not around to it yet, ran into problem trying to connect aio printer wireless type, what a pain

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Can you take a look and see what is actually on the thumb drive + check the Device Manager for any yellow ! or red Xs.

Just so that you are aware you should not install any third party drivers until the Dell drivers have been installed.

mowpar

mowpar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
I. Did check device mgr no red flags there.

After looking at the link you provided, I now know I am not in ad good as shape as I was.
Now that I have installed the disc with the drivers and utilities, I think I installed them, as I said before I tried.

What I read on the link, I now have to uninstall any and all drivers on the pc, so that the motherboard driver can load first.

How do I know what drivers are on my computer? And, how do I remove them to install drivers in the right order.

This sounds like some really involved steps, is there a tutorial to direct me through the steps.

I am going back to the site you linked and maybe there it will tell me.

Thanks again, I thought I was free an d clear. But like the link said computer might act strange and it has at times.

Edited by mowpar, 29 November 2014 - 05:06 PM.

mowpar

mowpar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
This is what was is on the OS 7 Windows home premium thumb drive from Dell.
PRELOAD: ALL.CRC,,,,ALL.DRUS,,,,BASE.DAT,,,,BASE.WIM,,,,CSP.DAT,,,,DESC

MASTER. Description ,signature,language,,win- ver = 14,,,input,,clone,,image,win size ,,type.,, check crcafter

Windows t spi x64. Home premium rtm. ,,,,,,Windows can't load this file

Edited by mowpar, 29 November 2014 - 05:30 PM.

mowpar

mowpar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
I hate myself for even thinking this, but I think I made a lot of mistakes, during this whole process. I believe I probably took steps that I should not have. Seems like I tried to short cut everything, and am now, not in a good place with my outcome.

What do you think. Can this computer with all that I have done be returned to factory settings or are the original settings no longer there?

This link you provided, I read through a lot of it, it sure sounds great, real great, at the end of it all, what is the price of this service?

Edited by mowpar, 29 November 2014 - 06:00 PM.