Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Re install

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

mowpar

We understand that computer issues can be frustrating but can I ask you once again to only use the edit tab for adding information while waiting for a reply, I am in the UK and so most likely not online when you are + neither of us can be here 24 hours a day.

We have no way of knowing what you have done but if it is as bad as what you suggest it may be best for you to start afresh but this time follow the steps that I provide and do not take any shortcuts.

So that we can see what drivers are presently installed do the following;

Run DriverView from here no download is required.

Save the results as a Text File.

Copy paste the results into your next reply.

I am not suggesting that you download Driver Pro btw and the link is for information purposes only.

If you follow the steps provided you will not need to pay for drivers that are readily available for free from Dell.

Advertisements

mowpar

mowpar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
I have tried to do what you have asked, but I can only get so far. I was able to run the program, and saw on the screen, the information you wanted me to post here. I do not know how to convert text I see written on the screen into a text file. If I knew how to,do that I still would not know how to post it, to this forum.

I may lack the skills to help myself. I guess it's true, you can't help those who can't help themselves.

I have noticed that using this computer to find things such as how to make a file text and other things I have to do, the computer seems to behave OK. It might be running fine, what do I know. Did the information I gave of what was on to thumb drive from Dell , tell you anything? In reference to the flash drive with the OS windows 7.

Edited by mowpar, 30 November 2014 - 12:20 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

As the computer seems to be running ok now I suggest that you run the Dell driver analyser tool here this will tell you if any drivers are missing or out of date etc.

If need be take another look at providing the list of drivers for us and see if my attachment helps any.

The stuff on the Dell thumb drive doesn`t mean a great deal and more importantly we don't actually know what was installed to your computer from the thumb drive.

mowpar

mowpar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
I went to the site to check drivers, it said there that 4 drivers need to be updated. Recommended I up date, I push to update, things were downloaded, then asked to install, I pushed to install. Installing updates went fine until it hit 98% it has been sitting there for 5 minutes now, don't know what to do about it but wait. Is this normal?
I was able to get the files in the first link you posted about posting results here , to the desk top, I right clicked on them copied and tried to paste them here but would not work.

Edited by mowpar, 30 November 2014 - 01:59 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

No worries about the driver info now that Dell has identified you only need 4 drivers updated, leave the computer as it is for now and provide an update in 10 minutes or so and let us know what the computer is doing, reply sooner though if they install before this.

mowpar

mowpar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
I restarted to process , to make sure I had not made a mistake. The process after a long wait just said the downloading was successful but the installing was not. No other options.
I have run other driver checks. The one check stated this: Network controller doesn't have driver,,,,,,;;;;:::Universal serial bus (bus) Controller doesn't have a driver, it also stated that I had an incompatible application.

I was able to find the exact driver for the network controller and found the free download site for it, but like other attempts it refused to load. If you learn by your mistakes, I am getting smarter.

Phil, at this time I am pretty much set on trying to reset this pc to factory setting. That is if at this point in time it is possible to do it. I believe with the missing drivers and I believe a chipset, that the problems with this computer are just being compounded, to the point I cannot even with your expert help can keep up with them.

If the factory reset won't work, I am going call it quits, wait til I get back to work and get an apple computer, windows is driving me nuts, trouble is I don't drink so I can,t take the edge off.

Please Phil , let me know the best way to take computer back, if possible. I am sure there must be a good step by step tutorial you can recommend to me. I am not wanting to take any more of your time than I have already. Not to mention the room I am using up on this forum.

Edited by mowpar, 30 November 2014 - 10:26 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

First and foremost, do not worry about how long this takes to resolve, we never abandon anyone who needs our help and who works with us to resolve their computer problems.

I suggest that you do a fresh installation of Windows 7 but without using the thumb drive that Dell or whoever sent you, if this is agreeable please first do the following;

1: Download then run The Magical Jelly Bean product key finder to obtain the 25 digit product key for the Windows 7 OS that is presently installed on your computer, download here write this number down, keep it safe and share it with nobody.

2: Confirm the following for us;

You have a computer with internet access.

You have two thumb drives, one that must be 4GB or more for downloading a Windows 7 ISO to and one smaller for downloading any Dell drivers that will be needed (Keep the Dell thumb drive somewhere safe for now).

You are happy to format the HDD and do a fresh installation of Windows 7.

You will only follow the steps provided and not install anything that has not been suggested here first.

The steps in :2 may seem rather regimental but it is important that we are both in agreement, as you are aware there is a temptation to wander off and start installing things yourself in the thinking that it will help move things along but unfortunately it is all too often not the case.

mowpar

mowpar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
I am not at my computer now. I will be soon. I have the thumb drives, and I have Internet access.
And one thing you can bet on, is my not doing anything without instructions. I have seen what comes from
trying to hurry and cut corners. As soon as I get home I will run the jelly bean program, and safeguard the key.

Should I post when I have done so here? I know you said something about when to edit, and when not to. Don,t want to screw up,

I have the product ID # It has 23 letters, numbers and dashes, seem to be missing two characters.
Went to cnet for their product number finder. It is. 25 characters long. I have never tried to load off of cnet without it trying to give me something I don't want

I now have lost another driver, and now i am not able to get access to the internet. The ethernet driver controller is not activated, or something. I go to the device mgr and it is listed but has mark beside it i guess denoting it is not turned on. Along with the other drivers not working such as the bus osb usb driver , i have my old xp hooked up trying to figure a way to down load the driver to the affected pc. But i have not had any success not knowing what proper numbers are for the driver.
My restore point i just put on the computer is not there. I read where this computer had built in restore points and what not but i have yet to find anything like that.

Edited by mowpar, 01 December 2014 - 07:01 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Download the Dell drivers that you need to a USB thumb drive, drivers from here

Download to a 4GB or larger USB thumb drive the version of Windows 7 that you have from the links here

Also to the 4GB or larger USB thumb drive, download the Windows USB/DVD Download Tool from here all the instructions that you need are available at this link, please follow them to the letter, if you are unsure of anything ask here and be sure to full format the HDD before you do the fresh install of Windows 7.

Once Windows has been reinstalled only install the Dell chipset and the two Network drivers (Dell Wireless 1506 Wi-Fi and Realtek RTL8111F Ethernet Controller) post back with an update for us.

mowpar

mowpar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
I was finally able to get the access to the Internet. I have downloaded the proper OS and the download tool, and they are sitting on my desk top, I am not really clear on what to do next. I do not want mess up, at this point. So if you could please give the next couple of steps. I hope after this I am not asked for the password, I installed on this pc years ago and have not yet remembered.

If you know away to not let this happen, I would appreciate it. Because if it does I might just open up a vein.

Even though I was able to find away around the password, and get on the Internet, I don't believe I have administrative abilities, and I would like to have that ability, when this job is complete. Thanks as always and will wait for your instructions.

Edited by mowpar, 03 December 2014 - 12:02 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Please re-read carefully my reply #69

All downloads should have been to a USB thumb drive, the ISO and the USB/DVD tool to a 4GB one and the Dell drivers to a separate one of any size, how to use the ISO and download tool are as I also pointed out are fully explained at the download tool link.

mowpar

mowpar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
You know this is my fault, for thinking, you warned me about that. I thought that you wanted those things loaded to a usb drive, solely because, I screwed up and lost Internet connection. I do still have the OS and the tools down load on a usb drive. I will have to go back and download those drivers now, and check back in here.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

What you need to do is detailed below;

Download the Dell drivers that you need to a USB thumb drive, drivers from here

Download to a 4GB or larger USB thumb drive the version of Windows 7 that you have from the links here

Also to the 4GB or larger USB thumb drive, download the Windows USB/DVD Download Tool from here all the instructions that you need are available at this link, please follow them to the letter, if you are unsure of anything ask here and be sure to full format the HDD before you do the fresh install of Windows 7.

Once Windows has been reinstalled only install the Dell chipset and the two Network drivers (Dell Wireless 1506 Wi-Fi and Realtek RTL8111F Ethernet Controller) post back with an update for us.

mowpar

mowpar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
I don't mean to be so stupid but I do not see the instruction link to do a complete reinstall of the OS.

Be sure to full format the HDD before you do the fresh install of OS

What and how is this fomatting HDD done?

Edited by mowpar, 03 December 2014 - 03:15 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Sorry, crossed wires, the instructions mentioned were for how to download the ISO and install it, not a step by step "how to" install Windows 7, once you have the ISO and USB tool on the thumb drive you will need to change the boot sequence in the BIOS so that the computer boots from the thumb drive when you restart the computer, once you have done this Windows provides on screen instructions for what you need to do.

When the Windows ISO file is copied to the thumb drive, install Windows by moving to the root folder of your USB drive, and then double-click Setup.exe.