Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell Laptop Hard Drive with Windows Vista in a Gateway with Windows 8

• Please log in to reply

shartlza

shartlza

• Pip
  • 4 posts

I have a Gateway NV52L15u that the hard drive (500gb Hitachi) went out and I am trying to replace it.  It was running Windows 8.  I have a spare Dell laptop with same HD (but 250gb) that was running Windows Vista that I put in the Gateway and everything went in nicely, but when I power up the Gateway a blue box comes up and says "No Bootable Device, Hit Any Key".  When I hit any key it takes me to the Boot Manager screen for Boot Options and directs me to change options to boot, but there is nothing showing to boot from.  Can I make this HD work or not?  What do I need to do?  I am not total good with computers, but if I have step by step directions I can do it.  Can someone help me PLEASE?

Thanks in Advance

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

:welcome: shartlza.

The HDD from the "Dell laptop will have device and chipset drivers for the Dell MB, when you put into the Gateway nothing matches the Galway MB, no boot.

The original OS version that was installed on the Dell laptop is keyed to the Dell MB and cannot be used/transferred to a different MB, so can't use that software for installing on the Gateway.

If you have the COA sticker on the Gatway?? you can get the HDD to work by download a legal ISO of W8, burn it to a USB stick and install.   This would completely erase any Data on the HDD.

shartlza

shartlza

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

:welcome: shartlza.
The HDD from the "Dell laptop will have device and chipset drivers for the Dell MB, when you put into the Gateway nothing matches the Galway MB, no boot.
The original OS version that was installed on the Dell laptop is keyed to the Dell MB and cannot be used/transferred to a different MB, so can't use that software for installing on the Gateway.

If you have the COA sticker on the Gatway?? you can get the HDD to work by download a legal ISO of W8, burn it to a USB stick and install.   This would completely erase any Data on the HDD.

iammykyl,
I don't think I have the COA since I bought it a few years ago. I have all the SN#s on the back of the laptop and all that but nothing else. If I were to get W8 on a flash drive and put it into the gateway could I boot from the flash drive and that will wipe the hard drive with windows vista on it and put W8 on there and I will start with a fresh hard drive?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Does the Gateway have a Optical Drive? or only USB ports?

Do you have a legal copy of windows 8?

shartlza

shartlza

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I'm not sure what you mean by optical drive. I can get a legal version of W8.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Your DVD drive.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Excuse the interjection folks  :)

shartiza

I don't think I have the COA since I bought it a few years ago. 

To clarify, you bought what a few years ago, I ask as OEM computers have only shipped with Windows pre installed for a couple of years, any COA sticker that may be present in the case of a notebook would be on the base of the computer or beneath the battery in the battery housing.

The problem that you have is that obtaining a legal copy of Windows 8 will also involve the cost of purchasing a product key to go with it, it would be far less expensive if you are able to purchase an e Recovery disk from Gateway, see here or alternatively the Recovery Media Purchase Program here

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Thanks for the adtional info Phillpower2 :thumbsup:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Most welcome iammykyl  :thumbsup:

FWIW: The release date information for the Gateway NV52L15u suggests that the notebook is less than two years old so Gateway will most likely still be able to provide the correct recovery disk/s.

shartlza

shartlza

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Ok, sorry for being stupid. So what do i need to get the HD with Win Vista (that was in my dell)to work in the Gateway that had W8? The W8 software, Win Vista software, or the Gateway recovery disc? And yes it does have a dvd drive. Sorry for being so literal but as i said not totally good with computers. I greatly appreciate your guys help!!!!!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

The HDD that you are trying to use will need to be formatted first and the method used to reinstall Windows 8 will depend on both cost and convenience, a Windows 8 DVD with product key will cost almost $87 and will not contain the Gateway drivers and utilities software meaning that you need to download and install them yourself, any Gateway recovery disk/s that may be available for your computer will have everything on it that you need including the product key and the only additional thing that will need to be done is update Windows, put your details in at the link/s that I provided for you and let us know the results.

BTW: Did you check the base of the notebook and beneath the battery for any product key sticker.

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

I am wondering if the hard drive is actually being seen in the BIOS while the Dell one is in the Gateway. If UEFI is used it may not recognise a different hard drive. (I have that problem with an Acer)

To get into the BIOS and have a look round to see if it does see the hard drive, from first pressing the main power on start button, keep tapping the F1 key, till the BIOS page opens. If that does nothing, try it with the F2 key.

Once the BIOS page opens, use the left and right keys to move from page to page till you find the page that shows devices, if it is seeing the hard drive it should say so. The DVD drive should also be shown on that page so you know you are on the right one.

Let us know what you find, and also tell us what it says on the top line of the first page of the BIOS please.

Nev.