Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Full screen video in Google Chrome

• Please log in to reply

dvd7e

dvd7e

• PipPip
  • 53 posts

I use software called Winsplit Revolution to manage windows for my dual monitor setup, which let's me very easily resize windows or move a window from one monitor to another with just a keyboard shortcut (e.g. ctrl + alt + Left/Right arrow to switch monitors). But I've noticed that when I play a streaming video (like on YouTube for example) on full screen in Chrome, then my keyboard shortcuts don't work and I can't move the video to my other monitor.

When the video in chrome is not full screen, then I can move the browser window just fine. And when I play videos full screen in Firefox or IE, I can move those to other monitors. But if it's full screen in Chrome, no dice. 

Any ideas on what's going on?

Advertisements

pravinkumar

pravinkumar

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

If you watch YouTube on the Google Chrome internet browser, full-screening a video sometimes results in ugly white space around the edges instead of an enlarged video. The bug seems to be less common in more recent Chrome versions, but until the exact cause is pinned down by Chrome developers, you can sidestep the issue by enabling a different version of the Flash plugin.

Enable NPAPI if you are reading this after April 2015. Due to upcoming changes to Chrome, this method will require an extra step after April 2015. set the option to "Enable NPAPI" or similar. If that date is still in the future, ignore this and move on to the next step.

• Never change any other options on this flags page unless you know exactly what you are doing.
  • The detailed explanation: There are two versions of the Flash plugin for Chrome, one using Chrome's PPAPI interface and one using the older NPAPI. The PPAPI version is usually the cause of this glitch. All NPAPI plugins are being phased out for Chrome due to security risks, so this extra step will be necessary to opt in to using NPAPI.

Download a different Flash player, if there is only one listed. Scroll through your list of plugins and look for "Adobe Flash Player." If it says "(2 files)" after the name and lists two instances of "Shockwave Flash" beneath it, continue to the next step. If there is only one flash player, follow these instructions before continuing:

• Open a different browser, preferably Firefox or Safari. (Chrome will only download the existing PPAPI plugin, so you need a different browser.)
  • Visit adobe.com and follow the instructions to download and install flash player. This will involve relaunching your browsers, so bookmark this page or take a screenshot so you can follow the next instruction.

dvd7e

dvd7e

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

So sorry to bump such an old thread, but I never got this issue resolved. When I got to "chrome//plugins" I have 2 flash players listed, and I've tried every combination of on & off and the issue isn't fixed. I also went to adobe.com to download the latest Flash player, that didn't help either. Once I make a movie go full screen, how can I make the video switch monitors?