Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Gateway NV55C

• Please log in to reply

JonathanOh

JonathanOh

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hello,
I have this computer that I fixed and it has a new monitor, I added 4 gb of ram, and an Intel wireless wifi card. The problem is that whenever I try to install Ubuntu or try without installing about like a few minutes in the laptop suddenly turns off by itself. I checked the disk for any errors but it seems like there was none present. Please if there any ways of fixing it please post!
Thank you,
Jonathan

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Hello again JonathanOh,

Unless a HDD has an electrical problem such as a short circuit it will not cause a computer to shut down, a HDD that is corrupt or has no OS on it will result in an on screen message such as "no boot device found" or "restart computer and select a boot device".

Two common causes of a computer suddenly switching itself off are loss of power and heat, other less common includes a loose memory or add on card.

Loss of power can be caused by a bad battery or AC adaptor (including the power outlet it is connected to) in the case of a notebook computer.

Heat causes shutdowns in various ways but the most common is the CPUs thermal sensor detecting temps that are too high, it then shuts down the computer to protect the CPU and other hardware, this type of overheating is normally caused by a failed or clogged cooling fan and/or heatsink fins, both are relatively easy to check, do you hear the cooling fan running when the notebook is turned on for example.

A more difficult problem to identify where heat is concerned is a break in the printed/soldered circuit, if there is a break when the MB gets warm it expands and this can cause a break in the soldered circuits.

To avoid repetition tell us what if any steps you may have tried already, have you tried reseating the Ram for example.

JonathanOh

JonathanOh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Alright so I do hear my fan running but really loudly for an odd reason and I tried taking out one stick of ram. (Originally there was 4 GB but I put in 8 GB) and I got a blue screen. It got farther than before at least. I will post a picture of the error.

JonathanOh

JonathanOh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
[attachment=74215:image.jpg][attachment=74215:image.jpg]

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

No attachment I`m afraid  :(

After typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would. 

Try removing both sticks of Ram then starting up the computer, let us know what happens, for example - do you get any error beeps etc.

Tip

If you have something to add while waiting for a reply use the edit tab – bottom right of the dialogue input box and this will ensure that no information that you provide is overlooked (this can happen if your topic has more than one page)