Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PCI Express Video Card Running 1x instead of 16x

• Please log in to reply

elitekillers5

elitekillers5

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Well i am having the same thing happen to mine called DELL(bad idea) and was told that the reason it is only running at x1 speed is because my BRAND NEW SYSTEM that is less than 4 months old does NOT SUPPORT PCI Express x16 which if you ask me is pure crap I hate this thing more and more each and every day so you may want to call them and ask if yours supports x16 or like mine it only supports x1...... :whistling:

Attached Thumbnails

• My_computer_center.jpg

Advertisements

guptavinee

guptavinee

• Pip
  • 1 posts
:whistling: Hey did you guys tried to reset the Video Card. Just make sure that when you are reseating the card none of the Pins at the bottom of the card should be visible. and then try restarting the system. I think it should work.

Hybridmorphos

Hybridmorphos

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I had the same problem with my computer. After, seeing the warning about the PCI card running at x1 mode I assumed that the video card must be trying to protect itself from some kind of hardware failure. I then,opened up the computer and it turned out to be the fan mounted on the video card itself came off. I removed the remains of the fan, leaving the heat sink, and replaced it with another small computer fan I had lying around. After mounting it perfect into the heat sink and connecting it to power, I turned on the pc and no longer received that message. Therefore, if you receive that message more than likely you probably have a hardware failure issue related with that card, not a software issue. Hope this helps!

mreg

mreg

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Some Dell PC's PCI-E slot is version 1.0. New video cards are usually version
2.0 (maybe 1.1 or 1.0a ?). So they not work with 1.0 slot
at x16 speed and fall back to x1 speed automatically.

As far as I know there is no BIOS update, nor workaround to solve this
annoying behavior.