Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

poor performance, locks up randomly restarts [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts
Hi. :)

It won't boot at all..something happened during this thread .

OK lets see if the following will work so I can try too ascertain the problem as follows...

Scan with Farbar Recovery Scan Tool:

Please download and save Farbar Recovery Scan Tool 64-Bit to a Flash/USB drive.

Then insert the Flash/USB drive into your problem machine....

Enter System Recovery Options.

To enter System Recovery Options from the Advanced Boot Options:
  • Restart the computer.
  • As soon as the BIOS is loaded begin tapping the F8 key until Advanced Boot Options appears.
  • Use the arrow keys to select the Repair your computer menu item.
  • Select US as the keyboard language settings, and then click Next.
  • Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.
  • Select your user account an click Next.
On the System Recovery Options menu you will get the following options:

Startup Repair
System Restore
Windows Complete PC Restore
Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool
Command Prompt
  • Select Command Prompt
  • In the command window type in notepad and press Enter.
  • The notepad opens. Under File menu select Open.
  • Select "Computer" and find your flash drive letter and close the notepad.
  • In the command window type e:\frst64.exe and press Enter
Note: Replace letter e with the drive letter of your flash drive.
  • The tool will start to run.
  • When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) on the flash drive. Please copy and paste the contents of the aforementioned notepad file in your next reply.

Advertisements

richclan

richclan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

it wont boot at all we need to get the pc out of the endless loop somehow

is there a way to make a bootable flash with chkdisk or something to repair the boot loader?

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts

is there a way to make a bootable flash with chkdisk or something to repair the boot loader?

Lets try the following...

Download this W764 iso file and then Rufus to the desktop of a machine.
  • Then insert a USB drive into the machine >> right-click on rufus-1.4.12.exe and select Run as Administrator(if using Vista or above etc).
  • Select the ISO file on the desktop via the ISO icon >> click on Start.
  • Once the process is completed >> click on Close and remove the USB Drive
Next:-
  • Insert the newly created bootable USB drive into the problem machine and use it to boot it up. If unsure of the process, information is here.
  • Once you have reached the System Recovery Options >> select Command Prompt
  • Now type in chkdsk /r c: >> depress the enter/return key. The Check-Disk should now commence.
  • Upon completion exit the Command Prompt window and in the System Recovery Options window click on Restart
Next:

In your next reply let myself know the outcome of the above and we will then go from there, thank you.

richclan

richclan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

i cant get it that far. it says safe mode with Command Prompt .. i select it and my only options after that make it go into setup is starting and hangs there indefinitely  ... no option to do a chdisk

i DO have Knoppix 6.0 , 3.5, and a partition commander disk if these will help us. partition commander i have used to repair the boot sector on 32 bit systems but am unsure about win 7/ 64... also dont want to loose her music , photos and school files

tks

Edited by richclan, 10 January 2015 - 07:39 PM.

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts

My apologies for the delay, I am not always available at the weekends...

i cant get it that far. it says safe mode with Command Prompt

There is no option denoting Repair Computer then ? Though booting from the USB drive the machine should right into the System Recovery Options.

Try again please as outlined prior.

i DO have Knoppix 6.0 , 3.5, and a partition commander disk if these will help us. partition commander i have used to repair the boot sector on 32 bit systems but am unsure about win 7/ 64.

I honestly have no idea as never used it. I will look into this.

richclan

richclan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
I guess we both were waiting for an answer LOL

the repair computer tab just goes to a splash screen 'setup is starting' and hangs there

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts
Acknowledged, can you inform myself please what exact make and modal is the unbootable machine please. :)

richclan

richclan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

acer aspire 5252-v518

Edited by richclan, 14 January 2015 - 03:14 PM.

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts

Lets create another type of bootable media as follows...
  • Please download OTLPEStd to the desktop of a machine.
  • Insert a blank writable CD/DVD etc and then double click on OTLPEStd.exe >> click on Yes at the prompt.
  • At the Operation Successfully Completed! prompt click on OK and close any open windows.
  • Remove the newly created media and use this to boot up the problem machine.
  • Once loaded(this may take some time) your system should now display a Reatogo desktop.
Note: Since you are basically running from a CD/DVD it is not exactly speedy.
  • Click on the Start(similar to a Windows logo) >> All Programs >> Command Prompt.
  • Now type in chkdsk /r c: >> depress the enter/return key. The Check-Disk should now commence.
  • Upon completion close the Command Prompt window >> Start >> Shut Down >> select Restart >> OK.
Next:

In your next reply let myself know the outcome of the above and we will then go from there, thank you.

richclan

richclan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

that os worked in my working xp machine so i know it burned correctly

however it wont boot in this broken machine, and it is set to boot from the cd drive. it stops accessing the drive and posts :

pxe-e61 media test failure check cable

pxe-m0f exiting broadcom pxe rom

then back to startup repair launch screen

fyi i am able to run knoppix 6.2   is there a chkdisk on that os ?

Edited by richclan, 16 January 2015 - 10:24 PM.

Advertisements

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts

My sincere apologies for the delay, I have been offline due to personal reasons.

fyi i am able to run knoppix 6.2 is there a chkdisk on that os ?

I do not think so but I am far from ofay with anything Linux related I'm afraid. Regarding these errors you mentioned:-

This could either be BIOS or Hardware specific related rather than Malware per-say. I will ask a member of the IT Tech Staff to assist you with this for the time being as primarily I only provide Anti-Malware support.

richclan

richclan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
ok will wait for help; thanks :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Hello richclan,

Dakeyras is correct this could be a bad BIOS setting or a hardware issue, worse case scenario both in that the BIOS chip and the hard drive are both bad, both possibilities are addressed below;

The above suggests that the boot order in the BIOS is incorrect, this because the computer is attempting to boot from a Broadcom network device as opposed to a hard drive that has an OS on it, reasons for this include an incorrect boot order, a failed HDD or the OS on the HDD being corrupt resulting in the BIOS looking for an alternative appropriate boot device. 

To check the above out, restart the computer and access the BIOS, is the HDD detected, depending on the brand of drive it may be identified by beginning with the letters ST for a Seagate device and WD for a Western Digital drive.

A typical boot configuration on a functional computer is 1: The HDD. 2: The DVD/CD drive. 3: A USB type device.

When attempting to install or repair an OS the boot order is most often 1: The DVD/CD drive. 2: The HDD. 3: A USB type device, #3 may replace #1 under certain circumstances such as when a computer does not have an internal DVD/CD drive and an external USB type device is used instead.

Unless a computer has been specifically set up to boot from a pxe device across a network it should never be included in the boot order.

Depending on your update we may need to look at attempting to secure any data off the HDD if it looks flaky but please be aware that it is not always possible and depends on the state of the drive.

richclan

richclan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

yes the HD is detected

the boot order in bios i set to fix is 1: usb cd/dvdrom. 2: ide1 cddvdw. 3: A USB hdd 4 usb fdd. 5 ide0 6. net boot

however i also set to pick boot on start via F12 and only 3 show up in boot manager

1 ide1

2 ide0

3 net boot

FYI i made a system image backup 3 cd's

laptop recovery 3 cd's and system repair 1 cd which didnt help fix it when i first got it.

Edited by richclan, 20 January 2015 - 05:57 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

If the HDD is not identified as I advised then the HDD is not detected, examples of what you should see when a HDD is detected, a seagate HDD ST500LT025 and a Western Digital WD7500LPCX What is shown for your HDD.

The boot order that you selected in the BIOS is incorrect and should be set as I detailed above.

If your computer is identifying the HDD as the IDE type it should be set as IDE0 first to boot from the HDD under normal conditions and IDE1 when attempting to repair or install an OS.

The specs for your computer show that the HDD is the SATA type and not IDE, see here

It is getting late here in the UK and I have an early start in the morning so going offline now but will be back asap after work tomorrow.