Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Alienware specific problem

Fan speed

• Please log in to reply

Keman

Keman

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

Ok well, I have this older Alienware computer (yes I know Alienware -_-) its about 6 years old and had been just sitting upstairs collecting dust basicly in an acquaintance's house. I recently decided to get it back up and going and what not.

I am not sure if this is something that you all will be able to help with, but the first thing I seem to be haveing trouble with is that on it it has Fins on the top that are basicly just for show but they are supposed to stay down and then flair up and open up for more air flow vents. as seen [post='HERE']http://4.bp.blogspot...nwareAREA51.jpg[/post]

They are supposed to only open up when the fan speeds go over 50%, however they stay open 100% of the time even if fan speeds are under 50%. I can go into the thermal controls and to the fan/venting controls to look at and edit these settings. I can chose for it to just always stay as open or as closed as I want it all the time and when doing that it will open and close no problem mecanically on its own.

Just when set to open at 50% fan speed (or whatever %) it stays 100% open all the time. can even set it to not open untill fan speed is 99% and still stays open all the time. this is all with the fans running at 700-1k rpm nothing to crazy. when I manually bump them up to 50% they get to 2k+ rpm's.

So yeah it seems like whatever controls the "fins" seems to think the fans are running at 100% all the time even thoe they arn't. I honestly have no idea if this is anything that someone could help me with. [bleep] everyone might think it is so insignificant that its not worth the time to fix it ><

If any help at all can be supplied in this matter It would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,

Keman

Advertisements

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

no idea but i thought the fan speeds need to be set to auto and not manual, and then the vent opens and closes according to the temp inside the case when the fan speeds change and ramp up, so maybe it's you setting the fan speeds manually that is the cause of the %age setting being ignored and why they are open all the time.

:popcorn:

see if this link helps you :- http://en.community....3746/t/19484349

Edited by terry1966, 22 December 2014 - 01:57 PM.