Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Do I need a new PSU to run this GPU ? (Resolved)

• Please log in to reply

greenscent

greenscent

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

I see, I found an EVGA 600w Bronze 80 PSU too, along with the thermaltake 730w, but it's 15$ more.

Guess I'll just go with the EVGA then.

thanks for the advice, terry1966.

Edited by greenscent, 26 December 2014 - 02:47 PM.

Advertisements

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

what the others have said about psu's i totally agree with usually even tho manufacturers always seem to overstate the power requirements of their gpu's just to be safe, so don't forget the psu is the heart of a pc and it is always worth spending just that little bit extra to buy a quality psu from a good manufacturer at least bronze rated instead of skimpy on it and buying a cheap psu even tho it may list more watts but without any certification.

i don't think i've ever spent less than around $100 or more on a psu for my own systems, but have for ones i've built for others with good results like the evga one i listed.

manufacturers i usually use are evga, silverstone, corsair and cooler master, with corsair being being used the most, i love psu that are modular like this one. http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817139048

always do a bit of research and try to buy a psu that someone like jonnyguru :- http://www.jonnyguru...?name=NDReviews has tested and recommends that will cover your pc power requirements.

:popcorn:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

what the others have said about psu's i totally agree with usually even tho manufacturers always seem to overstate the power requirements of their gpu's just to be safe, so don't forget the psu is the heart of a pc and it is always worth spending just that little bit extra to buy a quality psu from a good manufacturer at least bronze rated instead of skimpy on it and buying a cheap psu even tho it may list more watts but without any certification.

i don't think i've ever spent less than around $100 or more on a psu for my own systems, but have for ones i've built for others with good results like the evga one i listed.

manufacturers i usually use are evga, silverstone, corsair and cooler master, with corsair being being used the most, i love psu that are modular like this one. http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817139048

always do a bit of research and try to buy a psu that someone like jonnyguru :- http://www.jonnyguru...?name=NDReviews has tested and recommends that will cover your pc power requirements.

:popcorn:

I concur, as suggested above manufacturers do ramp up the PSU requirements for add on GPUs but there is no getting away from the fact that knowingly using an underpowered PSU is reckless, it kills your hardware and stings your pocket  ;) 

greenscent

greenscent

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Well, thanks guys, I've decided to upgrade my psu.

the problem is, I'm hesitating between :

-Thermaltake Smart 730w

-Cooler Master GX 550W 80 bronze

I've found these two on sale for the same price at a store near my house. I know that thermaltake isn't very trustworthy, but those two are the only choice I have (can't order online in my country).

if possible I'd like to be able to keep my psu fo a few years, would future GPUs (e.g: GTX 960/950) work with 550W PSUs ?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Having read 4 reviews for each PSU, You have 2 choices.

If this is the Theraltake being supplied, Smart 730W http://www.hardwares...y-Review/1497/1 it is the  older model, I would buy the GX 550 W.   It has better voltage regulation, fully sleeved cables better  overall performance and efficiency.   The downside is, it is pretty noisy.

If it is the Thermaltake Smart SE 730W > http://www.thermalta...x?id=C_00001966 then it would be my choice because of the  improvements.

The GX has 46 amps on the 12 v rail, the smart has 54 Amps, so both would power a top end GPU.

\

greenscent

greenscent

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Hmm didn't really notice whether it's the SE or not, but I do remember that it's a modular PSU, and I think the old 730w is not modular, so it must be the SE one.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Yes, the SE is semi modular, if that's the one in the shop, then buy it.

Review, > http://www.gamezoom...._Review-27668-0

greenscent

greenscent

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Thanks, I'll be buying it along with the MSI gtx 760 tomorrow.

Thanks again guys!

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

You are welcome. :thumbsup:

Some tips you may wish to follow.

Download DDu and save to the desktop, > http://www.guru3d.co...r-download.html  (read the instruction)

1. Swap over the power supplies.

2. Start the computer in safe Mode, without networking.

3. Create a Restore Point.

4. Run DDU using the option, Restart the computer (highly Recommended, this so you can see the log and look for any problems)   If on restart, you get the Found New Hardware, or similar, prevent it.

5. Shut down normally, Switch of the PSU, > Swap over the video cards, > Start in Safe Mode, without Networking. > Again, stop windows from installing anything.

6. Run the video card installation disc, follow the prompts.

greenscent

greenscent

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Ah, excellent, this is exactly what I was gonna ask about :)

thanks, I was wondering whether there were any steps to follow or not for a safe installation, this is very helpfull.

Edit: by the way, can I uninstall the GPU before swapping my power supply ?

Edited by greenscent, 28 December 2014 - 09:30 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Create and name a new folder on your desktop specifically for the software for the new video card, uninstall the software for the present video card, shut down the computer as you normally would, disconnect all sources of power to the computer, swap out the PSUs and add on video cards, reassemble the computer, restart the computer and follow the steps provided by iammykyl.

NB: Make sure that you ground yourself before reaching inside the case and/or handling the video cards, you can do this by touching a bare metal part of the case or PSU.

greenscent

greenscent

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

alright, I'm all set.

I'll tell you guys once I successfully install and test it.

thanks!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

You are most welcome and please do keep us posted on your progress  :thumbsup:

greenscent

greenscent

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Alright, I got the PSU(Tt smart SE 730W) and the GTX 760, I've been playing for 1 hour on games like The witcher 2/Battlefield 4 on Ultra, and I haven't had any issue, I'm loving it!

Thanks you all for your advices!

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Well done greenscent :rockon: , thanks for the update.

Great to hear you are happy with the upgrade. 

Your are very welcome :thumbsup: