Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

address book

• Please log in to reply

hearsay

hearsay

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Recently I imported a PST file from Outlook 2000 to Outlook 2003. My contacts came in fine, along with the address book based on contacts. But the address book sorted alphabetically by first name instead of by last name, first name as in my 2000 file. 2000 address book allow one to sort by various methods. Not so 20003 (baffling to me). Is there a way I can get my address book entries to sort by last name, first name? Thanks.

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
does this work ?
Change the default sort order of contacts
Some languages sort contacts and address cards by an individual's first name, instead of by their last name as is common in Western countries. You can change the default sort order with these steps:

On the Tools menu, click Options, and then click Contact Options.
In the Default "file as" order list, click the order that you want to use to sort your contacts.

hearsay

hearsay

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
It works only for new entries, not the current list.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Bugger
I will look further

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
click on the address book icon > highlight one of the names > right click > properties > file as gives you the option to change on the drop down arrow

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
one other way tools > options>preferences>contact options
this gives you a sort option

hearsay

hearsay

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks, I have tried both of these but even though my CONTACTS are sorted by the "Sort as" option [LN, FN], it doesn't seem to affect my Address Book which is based on my CONTACTS folder.