Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PureVpn?

• Please log in to reply

GeekGirl40

GeekGirl40

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Recently started using NoScript as part of my attempt to browse the internet securely without another malware attack on my laptop. On their website has ad for PureVpn which I gathered will further secure my online experience, but I'm a little wary and needing feedback if anyone's tried this application and if it's worth my time and effort✴

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts

Hi GeekGirl40 and welcome to Geeks to Go!

A VPN service is really meant to encrypt your data as it passes through the Internet. Some VPN services will block "known" Malware and Phishing websites, but that is only the tip of the iceberg.

VPN services are most useful for those who travel or just want to protect their web traffic from being intercepted. For example, I do not recommend to purchasing products online while sitting in the airport. A VPN service will encrypt all web traffic between the laptop and the websites visited. Anyone snooping will be left with garbled text which they may or may not be able to decrypt depending on the cipher strength (Your VPN service will have more details about their recommended configuration, etc). It's much safer than sending data in plain-text though!

Malware protection from VPN services is not all it's cracked up to be. They generally only protect you by preventing access to "known" Malware and Phishing websites. This is a nice safety measure, but keep in mind that there are websites discovered every day; the website you find in a search engine may not have been evaluated by the VPN service yet. Unfortunately, the VPN's malware protection does nothing for attachments sent in e-mails - a common medium for spreading Malware. Your best defense against Malware is a software-based solution.

VPN services are fantastic for those looking to increase their privacy online, but I do not feel that it is a solid solution to combat Malware.

I hope this helps you! :thumbsup:

GeekGirl40

GeekGirl40

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Thanks Facedown98 for clearing that up